The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough
Default Bennett Springs

So I decided I am going to go to Bennett probably next week on my days off which will be wed through Saturday, didn't know if any of you had been down there for C&R season, was wondering what the conditions were looking like and what the fish seemed to be chasing?

Also if anyone else is going to be down there around that time you are free to room with me if I decide to just get a cabin instead of taking my tent.

Either way if anyone is going to be there be nice to meet some folks.

Stu
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Bennett Springs

Also going off pictures I have been finding looks like the place has been empty most days which is AWESOME!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The parks are generally empty during the C&R season, except meremec springs since its cloest to STL. It still fishes pretty well in the winter, small flies are the key. little zebra midges and small white dry flys always will work, same with griffth's gnats.
mcnerney likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 AM

Sweet, yeah I am hoping if they are empty they will give me a cheap room haha but I just need to get away and it is only a 3 hour drive so figured I'd just go down there, havent been to the park in several years now, but they have some pictures of catches from last year look like there were some good fish so hopefully I catch at least one haha

Thanks for the info
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

You should be able to catch atleast one. marabou jigs always seem to work very well out there as well. white, black/yellow, olive/peach. There are a few browns in there as well, I caught a nice one on the other side of the spill way a couple years ago and have seen some nice ones thru out the park. I like to fish from the spring down to just above the spillway, then the pool on the bottom of the spillway, under the bridge, that back stretch and then down to where the road crosses. Thats my most productive area in the park.
mcnerney likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM

Awesome, thanks and yeah I was planning on just starting at the spring and make my way down especially if I am one of the only ones there
Old 01-17-2013, 01:30 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough

Go with egg patterns, z. midge, scud patterns and when your hands get cold wolly's from the spring on down. It is a good time to fish the whole park. I usually head to Montauk SP for catch and release....Check on fishing times/days. I believe they are Fri, Sat, Sunday and Mon only; 8-4, but I have been known to be wrong. Might want to call or check website...Have fun and stay warm as it's going to get chilly. Give a report if you do go. ozark anglers . com is a got site to check out for more info for MO fishing
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 PM

Yeah Catch and release is friday through monday. I am planning on heading down early Friday morning leave my place around 445 or so, it takes about 3 hours to get there.

I will stay as warm as I can haha I already packed my Simm and underarmour, waiting on some new korker soles to come in, I have somehow misplaced my studded ones

I am also planning on packing light. I am taking my simm fanny pack that will just have the basic stuff in it. Flies, tippet, and clippers and if I stay the night some dalmore scotch haha, but I will probably drive back that night.

I am excited I have only been once during this C&R season and that was back in November. So much needed time alone.

Also I am part of that site, I just rarely post on there, but I will for sure update on there.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough

Good to hear Stuie. Getting out of StL this weekend also, lost job last Friday...So I need to get out, can only send out so many resumes and look at wsites; leaving on Friday a little earlier than you, but taking the wife, so I'll see how she likes fishing C&R in colder weather. I usually fish outside the parks, but I'll stay inside so she has a chance to catch more, staying in Licking and bring some J. Walker for a night of low stakes rummy.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM

Ah man sorry to hear that, also I am typically the same, I usually do not go into the parks since they are always crowded during the warm weather, but figured no one will be there this time of year.

I am also more of a fan of doing the weekend trip and taking my 1 man tent with me, though I may get a bivy sack. It is nice going down south and just wandering and fishing, just always remember how to get back to your car hahaha