The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By goldeneye
  • 1 Post By littledavid123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM

goldeneye is on a distinguished road
Default The Lower Mountain Fork

I was able to sneak away from work and class this week and caught a few fish, enjoy! Mix of different fly's. Fish didn't seem all that active, but with nice weather I stayed with it and had a nice time.

Click the image to open in full size.

and what I really came for...

Money!

Thanks for looking.
Hardyreels and thorsten like this.

Last edited by goldeneye; 02-03-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Lower Mountain Fork

Nice fish Goldeneye, but I didn't see any pics from below re-reg dam? Do you ever fish that section? There is an old road that you should explore someday, find a weyerhaeuser logging road map and you can drive right up to the cliff just opposite the restaurant in the park...

Dave
stuie675 likes this.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

UGH!!!! you had to post this hahaha, I am probably going to make my way down there in a few weeks. I still need to buy my permit to fish in AK, but that is a quick website visit.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 PM

I will fish below the re-reg dam a few times during November and December, but for the most part I'll park and start fishing right below the tail water dam. I like to fish all the way down to the low bridge and all the way back up. One of my favorite places to fish is at the falls in early summer. If you know how to get there it is some of the best fishing on the Mountain Fork, I caught a very small Pike there last year, maybe 6 inches long. I try to stay away from all the tourist if I can. My grandfather was the president of the Weyerhauser Southern Timberlands Unit along the Kiamichi Range; I have maps that most people don't know exist and access to a lot of private land. There isn't an access point that I don't know about, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Nice fish Goldeneye, but I didn't see any pics from below re-reg dam? Do you ever fish that section? There is an old road that you should explore someday, find a weyerhaeuser logging road map and you can drive right up to the cliff just opposite the restaurant in the park...

Dave
Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye View Post
I will fish below the re-reg dam a few times during November and December, but for the most part I'll park and start fishing right below the tail water dam. I like to fish all the way down to the low bridge and all the way back up. One of my favorite places to fish is at the falls in early summer. If you know how to get there it is some of the best fishing on the Mountain Fork, I caught a very small Pike there last year, maybe 6 inches long. I try to stay away from all the tourist if I can. My grandfather was the president of the Weyerhauser Southern Timberlands Unit along the Kiamichi Range; I have maps that most people don't know exist and access to a lot of private land. There isn't an access point that I don't know about, I think.
Indian petroglyphs, burial mounds never touched by white man, caves so large they held dances in the 1800's but now forgotten, spanish silver mines, stone cairns with meanings forever lost, patches of ginseng never harvested and a cold spring creek that can support trout all year. A lot of history in those mountains not found on any map.

Dave
Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 PM

I swear that there are Bigfoot around.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

All that sunshine and clear running water makes for good viewing for this ice bound fly fisher. It's great that you shared these pictures!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM

Thanks!

I bet the view in Alaska never gets old. A trip to Valdez and Island X are on my bucket list.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

March browns should start showing up this time of year there. I had an epic day there a couple years ago fishing a march brown dry all day, my best day ever with a dry fly.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM

newtofly is on a distinguished road

Would someone please PM me a couple of places off the beaten path to fly fish on the LMF. I like to hike so a good walk is fine. I am strictly catch and release. I would appreciate details on how to get to a few new spots. Thanks in advance. I will be there in less than a month.