The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By osok

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 PM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road
Default Houston Fishing

So I just found out today that I get to go down to Houston on a week long training trip for work, I cant fish during the week but I am going to stay the weekend and try to get some fishing in. Since this is kinda a quick trip, and i just found out today that I am going.. I was wondering if i could get some advice on where to start..I would like to cross redfish of my list of fish to catch and was wondering if I can just go out and look for them on my own with some luck or if I should just hire a guide. If I should go the guide route, if anyone here had any suggestions of any guides that are close to the Houston area..

Thanks
Miguel
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Houston Fishing

I can't recommend any areas to wade and have good success with Reds. If you had a kayak then I could send you to several areas. As far as a guide for fly fishing Scott Null is your man and highly respected in the Houston area. You can goggle him and find many articles about him and web based fishing sites to learn about fishing in the area. Another well known fly guide is Dean (Slowride) Thomas who guides out of Aransas Pass, TX. He is 3 hr. drive down the coast from Houston. He will take you in his kayaks or his power boat. Google him for more info. You can also call FTU (Fishing Tackle Unlimited) in Houston on Katy Freeway (I-10), ask for fly department and get guide recommendations, fly gear, flies. Ask for Marcos, as he lives and breathes fly fishing and is considered an expert in these parts for advice and help. Marcos will tell you about any local wading areas for Redfish and what to throw.

When are you going to be here?
Hardyreels and flyfishnbum like this.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 PM

flyfishnbum is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply...I ended up finding a guide out of Port O Conner. I will be fishing on June 8..
Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

How about a fishing report?