The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Little Red River help

I have been a warm water fly fisherman up to now, but I only live 45 minutes away from the Little Red River in Heber Springs Arkansas. I am clueless about trout fishing there, I know people use "scuds" but that is about all, I don't know how to cast them etc....ANY help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Little Red River help

Scuds are a type of nymph, and are usually fished as you would most nymphs by dead drifting on or near the bottom. They work well on the Little Red, but then so do plenty of other nymphs. The scud, not the fly imitating it, is a rather small arthropod that looks kinda like a sowbug (or in my childhood, a rolly polly bug.)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Al_a is right on here...

In my limited experience on the Little Red, they usually do call them sow bugs and they are very effective. The thing you'll need to get good at for a lot of the good holes on the LR (you may be already, but I've not really needed this skill much in warm water) is roll-casting with some accuracy, i.e. hitting slots where the fish are and maximizing your best drifts with big, slow mends. We fished very long, slooooooow drifts with very subtle takes.

I went there for my 30th birthday with my dad and brother, and we stayed and fished with a very godly man named Chuck Farneth. He's a great guy and very knowledgable fisherman. Like most trips with a new guide, I learned a lot by shutting my mouth... I'm pretty sure most of my success on the Guad in my home state and the Blue in OK over the last few years can be attributed to the patience and tactics I either learned from Chuck or honed with him.

Really pretty fish there, though I didn't catch any of great size we had a blast and caught a ton of fish

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

THANKS!, that helped a lot
Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Flymoron, I live in Heber Springs and up until last year when a new job limited my water time you could find me fishing about 3 times a week. In Montana at the moment but when back home, will send you a PM (private message) and we can plan a trip together.

Dave
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM

jbennett is on a distinguished road

If you want a guide Jamie Rouse is awesome. My 10yo and myself went with him last week and caught close to 40 on a half day trip.