The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 AM

habhide is on a distinguished road
Default Noob Question(s)

I recently just got into fly fishing and am looking for my first fly rod. I was told that a 6-7 weight rod would be a good starter, but the package I like is sold out in that weight.

Would there be anything wring with a 9 wt rod for a beginner?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:02 AM
mridenour

Default Re: Noob Question(s)

What are you going to be fishing for?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 AM

Probably mostly trout and bass. I am still getting my feet wet (so to speak) when it comes to fishing in Okahoma.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike has a good point, we can't answer your question without first knowing the species of fish your after. If your primarily going salt fishing or carp fishing then a 9 wt might work, if on the other hand you are primarily going after trout then you will be better served with a 4-6 wt fly rod.

It also really helps if you put up on your profile where you are from, you don't have to give an exact location, if we have some idea of the part of the country you are in we can help with better advice. On mine for example, it says Pinedale, WY, if you didn't want to be that specific then just say WY or Rockies, that gives the rest of us an idea what you might be fishing for.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhide View Post
Probably mostly trout and bass. I am still getting my feet wet (so to speak) when it comes to fishing in Okahoma.
OK, with that knowledge, I wouldn't recommend a 9 wt. You could fish with a 9 wt but it wouldn't be much fun, more like using a broom stick, the rod won't flex much when you hook into your average trout or bass. You would be much better off with a 6 wt or maybe even a fast 5 wt unless the bass you are targeting are on the large side of the scale. Do you have a local fly shop in the area where you could ask for regional advice and maybe try first hand at casting a few different rods. Fly rods are like buying cars, everyone has personal opinions, likes and dislikes, some people like Fords, others hate Fords but love Chevies, you get the idea. Spending good money on a fly rod that you haven't had the chance to personally cast beforehand is risky business, you might love it, but there is a chance you might hate it.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhide View Post

That's a tough one...your trout are probably going to be on the smaller side and the bass are probably going to be pretty stout. I use my 5wt in my secret lake and kind of hope I don't have to horse a big bass from the grass. There are lots of 7 pounders in there. If you are going to bass fish where there is a lot of vegetation you might want to get a 7 or even an 8 if you are catching brutes but those little trout won't be as much fun on it.

Like Larry says, if you are going to be catching average bass without a lot of stuff to horse them through a 6 would be a good compromise.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For someone new to fly fishing (short of King Salmon) a 9wt rod is total over kill After you've used it a few times it will standing in the corner of the garage collecting dust.

For general fly fishing a 7wt is the most you'll need .. even for Steelhead fishing.

Fred
Old 07-31-2013, 09:58 AM

Thank you guys for all the info. I really appreciate it.