The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Lower Mid-U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lower-mid-u-s/)
-   -   Central TX fly fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lower-mid-u-s/328472-central-tx-fly-fishing.html)

stoble 08-17-2013 10:32 PM

Central TX fly fishing
 
I recently had my first fly fishing experience in Wyoming and OH MAN it was fun. Are there any good places to fly fish around Austin / San Antonio?

If so, what weight of rod do you usually use in this area?

riverbilly 08-19-2013 07:01 PM

Re: Central TX fly fishing
 
Yes, there is some good fly fishing here in Centex. A handful of rivers and lots of lakes. The best access for waters around here are by boat / kayak, but there are some areas that are wadable.
Austin to San Antone is a big area, shoot me a PM with where you are and I can give some recommendations. There's usually one in your backyard.

Rod weight depends on species and fly size. We have everything from small bream and bass to large bass, cats, drum and carp. I carry a 5wt and an 8wt on most of my trips. The 5wt can haddle small flies up to size 1 or so, and I've brought in some pretty big fish with it. The 8wt I use for big heavy flies, big poppers, windy days and when fishing the salad and heavy cover.

mcnerney 08-19-2013 07:08 PM

Re: Central TX fly fishing
 
Stoble: Welcome to the forum! Great to have you posting, where in Wyoming did you get a chance to fish? I can't help with your central TX question, but I'm sure the other members will help out.

Larry

stoble 08-19-2013 08:24 PM

Re: Central TX fly fishing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 583485)
Stoble: Welcome to the forum! Great to have you posting, where in Wyoming did you get a chance to fish? I can't help with your central TX question, but I'm sure the other members will help out.

Larry

Hi Larry!

WY is beautiful.

My 2 bros and I fished the Snake River. We are complete beginners. I was sure we weren't going to catch anything cuz of our lack of fly rod experience, but all 3 of us caught at least 2 cut throat. No bigguns, but we had a great time.

Thanks for the reply David. PM sent.

osok 08-26-2013 03:41 PM

Re: Central TX fly fishing
 
If you want to chase trout then head to the Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake dam. This is the southern most river in the U.S. to trout fish. Recommend you join Guadalupe Trout Unlimited, GRTU Home and also join the Lease Access Program. As you should know most all property on the river is private. The club obtains fishing access rights in many areas. There are also places you can launch and float the river if you desire. It's a blast getting to help with the club trout stocking 3-4 times each winter. The state also stocks many times during the winter but with much smaller fish than GRTU stocks.

stoble 09-09-2013 04:33 PM

Re: Central TX fly fishing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by osok (Post 585653)
If you want to chase trout then head to the Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake dam. This is the southern most river in the U.S. to trout fish. Recommend you join Guadalupe Trout Unlimited, GRTU Home and also join the Lease Access Program. As you should know most all property on the river is private. The club obtains fishing access rights in many areas. There are also places you can launch and float the river if you desire. It's a blast getting to help with the club trout stocking 3-4 times each winter. The state also stocks many times during the winter but with much smaller fish than GRTU stocks.

Hi osok,

Since I'm just starting, are there any public access points to the Guadalupe where I can try it out? I was actually planning to go down river road this weekend and check it out. However, I don't want to find myself staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge :o

osok 09-16-2013 08:28 PM

Re: Central TX fly fishing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stoble (Post 590045)
Hi osok,

Since I'm just starting, are there any public access points to the Guadalupe where I can try it out? I was actually planning to go down river road this weekend and check it out. However, I don't want to find myself staring down the barrel of a 12 gauge :o

Sorry for slow reply. The only public access I am aware of is directly below the dam. This past winter the TPWD leased a few access sites but I think those have all expired by now. Many of the campgrounds will allow you to access the river for small daily fee. Rio Raft is a popular access but there are others. If you indeed made the trip down River Rd., you observed that summer is best for looking rather than fishing due to the tube hatch.lol

After looking over the river and area and it looks like a place you want to fish; I encourage you to check into GRTU club and their lease access program. They provide about 12-15 access sites during the winter. Costs for membership to GRTU and lease program is very reasonable.

gs430 11-21-2013 07:54 PM

Re: Central TX fly fishing
 
Guadalupe is probably your best option. I am heading out there with my 11 year old next Friday.

moore 12-17-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Central TX fly fishing
 
I live in Lampasas. There are lots of creeks and rivers around to fish. From about mid February till April the Colorado Bend State park is a hot spot for white bass. The park is just a little NW of Austin.

ripit 12-27-2013 08:48 PM

Re: Central TX fly fishing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by osok (Post 592457)
Sorry for slow reply. The only public access I am aware of is directly below the dam. This past winter the TPWD leased a few access sites but I think those have all expired by now. Many of the campgrounds will allow you to access the river for small daily fee. Rio Raft is a popular access but there are others. If you indeed made the trip down River Rd., you observed that summer is best for looking rather than fishing due to the tube hatch.lol

After looking over the river and area and it looks like a place you want to fish; I encourage you to check into GRTU club and their lease access program. They provide about 12-15 access sites during the winter. Costs for membership to GRTU and lease program is very reasonable.

Hey Osok, I seem to run across you everywhere.

Moore, yes on the public access on the Guad. Try White Water Sports, Rio Raft, Mountain Breeze and Hauco Springs for these place are leased by TPWD for public access. Also you can access at Action Angler Fly Shop for 5.00 a day. Good luck. I've been at the Guad the last 2 weekends and catching some nice trout.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.