The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tx_newb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Eleven Point river

Probably going to do a backpacking trip in the Irish wilderness in about 3 weeks. I read the section of the river along the wilderness is stocked with Rainbow trout, so that's promising. Any experience with this section of the river in October? Advice? Is the river fishable from the bank with a fly rod? I'm new to fly fishing so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:32 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Eleven Point river

Its an extremely difficult river to bank fish from. Its big water, a canoe is the minimum youd want, or a belly boat. There are lots of smallies and rainbows in it though. It fishes pretty well most of the year.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM
mridenour

Missouri Trout Hunter -- Eleven Point River

Here is a link to some good info.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:56 PM

tx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of lighttx_newb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Its an extremely difficult river to bank fish from. Its big water, a canoe is the minimum youd want, or a belly boat. There are lots of smallies and rainbows in it though. It fishes pretty well most of the year.
Extremely difficult specifically for fly fishing, or any type of bank fishing? The other two guys I'm going with will take spinning rods, I may pack a small one too. The tentative plan is to hike from the trail head to somewhere around the river and set up camp for a day or two. This would give us a couple days to explore the river before hiking back.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Missouri Trout Hunter -- Eleven Point River

Here is a link to some good info.
Thanks, looks like some helpful info.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:06 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Its alittle easier to spinfish but its still a tricky river to fish from the bank. I personally know no-one that does it, everyone I know that goes there either uses a canoe or belly boat.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Just got back from the trip. We backpacked the Whites Creek Trail in the Irish Wilderness. The first two days didn't provide any access for a decent fishing spot. On the third day we planned to camp at the float camp (on Whites Creek). When we got there we realized it was about 200 yards or so from the river but no trails were cut, so we decided to risk it and bush-whacked our way to the river...it was worth it. Found a fairly wide bank that stretched for probably half a mile that we could walk and bank fish while we camped. I caught a couple rainbow, both around 12", probably could have caught more if I knew what I was doing. One of the guys caught 7-8 on a surprisingly large crank bait using a spin rod.

That's a beautiful river and wilderness area. I'd love to go back and do a fishing float on it some day.

Question for those of you familiar with the area: at night we saw a couple boats cruising upriver with big flood lights at the front. They had 1-2 people with big gigging sticks at the front trying to gig/harpoon fish. What's the deal with that?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_newb View Post
Question for those of you familiar with the area: at night we saw a couple boats cruising upriver with big flood lights at the front. They had 1-2 people with big gigging sticks at the front trying to gig/harpoon fish. What's the deal with that?
Thats the southern MO group of good for nothing, anti regulating reguarding, POS, poaching class of giggers. I HATE thos people with a passion. There are ones that do follwo the rules but most of them kill tons of fish for fun and fish they are not allowed to kill/gig.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 PM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_newb View Post
Just got back from the trip. We backpacked the Whites Creek Trail in the Irish Wilderness. The first two days didn't provide any access for a decent fishing spot. On the third day we planned to camp at the float camp (on Whites Creek). When we got there we realized it was about 200 yards or so from the river but no trails were cut, so we decided to risk it and bush-whacked our way to the river...it was worth it. Found a fairly wide bank that stretched for probably half a mile that we could walk and bank fish while we camped. I caught a couple rainbow, both around 12", probably could have caught more if I knew what I was doing. One of the guys caught 7-8 on a surprisingly large crank bait using a spin rod.

That's a beautiful river and wilderness area. I'd love to go back and do a fishing float on it some day.

Glad to hear you did well! The gigging is a "traditional Ozark fishing method," targeting mostly suckers and buffalofish as they concentrate in wintering pools. Most of the folks are honest, a few wind up gigging whatever passes in front of them-trout, catfish, smallmouth.