The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By al_a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 07:45 PM

tybymo is on a distinguished road
Default Westover Farms

I have booked a day of trout fishing at Westover Farms near Steelville, MO.
for about a week from now. Does anyone know the place well enough to suggest what techniques and patterns may be successful? I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Westover Farms

I haven't fished there since it changed hands a couple years ago, so I don't know whether there have been any changes since then. If it's like it was then, it mainly consists of a constructed "meadow" stream winding through an open field in two channels, with pools and small dams. There is a brushy section above that which is difficult to fish, and the natural creek, which is quite small above where the constructed spring branch runs into it but holds some trout, and then a nice pool below where the spring branch comes in, which is my favorite part of the complex to fish. The trout were good sized and depending upon how many have been freshly released they may not be too sophisticated, so lots of nymphs will work, and I caught some of the bigger ones on small streamers like size 4-8 Woolybuggers. I have to admit I got bored pretty quickly in the fake-looking "meadow reach" and spent much of my time up in the brush and in the creek, but it's fun to see lots of very nice trout and catch a few in that meadow reach. It's not my cup of tea, but it's a very nice place that's fun to fish once in a while.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 AM

Thanks. It will be a change from the White River, which is where I usually fish.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 AM

mridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to beholdmridenour is a splendid one to behold

I don't think you will have any trouble catching fish there. I have a friend that goes there sometimes when the fishing in the streams around are blown out or whatever. He always catches fish there. I've not been yet because I am too cheap to pay what they want when I can just go a few more miles to fish the Current River.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

brown and ginger mohair leeches. thats all you'll need. and pellet flies.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 AM

Thanks for all of the information.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Just returned from Westover farms. Fished on a very bright, sunny day. Had good luck with brown leeches and wooly buggers. Thanks again.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------