The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stl_geoff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Any trout fishing in Northern Missouri?

I know there aren't any good MLB Baseball or College Football teams down there. Just hopin' there might be some trout fishing in St Louis area or north.

You know who I'm talking to, and I await a quality response.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any trout fishing in Northern Missouri?

No trout fishing north of the Missouri River, aside from some urban ponds stocked seasonally in St. Louis and KC.

Some of the Mississippi Tribs of northeast Missouri have smallmouth, they and tribs of Mark Twain Lake have runs of white bass as well as black bass and panfish, and most MDC properties have impoundments with a mix of largemouth bass, sunfish and crappie. A few are stocked with walleye.

But for better or for worse, no trout.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

I seriously thought there were a few spring creeks on the north side of the state. I was just messing with mridenour, stlgeoff and the other active St Louis area guys.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

You gotta get closer to the Ozarks for trout fishing in MO... most is about 1-2hr south of StL... Think the Current River is the closest option.

There's plenty of good trout water in northeastern Iowa... Gonna head down there myself this week probably.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:19 AM
mridenour

There are some trout stocked in St. Louis lakes and ponds for winter trout fishing. I wouldn't make a drive to Missouri for that. Sorry I was slow to answer this but I was catching up from watching the ST. LOUIS CARDINALS send a little Puiggy home. I know Mizzou is ranked number 5 but they won't be by the end of the season. It is nice to see them win conference games for a change though!

I'm going fishing this weekend down at Montauk this weekend. Mostly fishing outside the park in the Current River. Feel free to come on down. We'll be taking a break to watch the World Series now and then. Seriously, come on down.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
You gotta get closer to the Ozarks for trout fishing in MO... most is about 1-2hr south of StL... Think the Current River is the closest option.

There's plenty of good trout water in northeastern Iowa... Gonna head down there myself this week probably.
You can fish about an hour or so closer in Maramec Springs but it is small and gets more crowded due to its proximity to STL. I never fish there. I don't know what the pressure is like this time of year.

Last edited by mridenour; 10-22-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: mistyped
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I'm going fishing this weekend down at Montauk this weekend. Mostly fishing outside the park in the Current River. Feel free to come on down. We'll be taking a break to watch the World Series now and then. Seriously, come on down.
I will also be down there for some drunken tomfoolerly this weekend. I think Mike is going to swing by later in the day when I more then likely will have an inner ear infection ( heheh ) Anyway.. There are some north of ST. Louis, but they are very tricky to find. I'll leave it at that.

There are also places in St. Louis that arent the stocked ponds by the MDC with trout but again, secert secert. ( dont feel bad, I dont know any of them either, just rumors of where they are )

There are plenty of places closer then the Current River. Blue Springs Creek, Little Piney Creek, Mill Creek, Spring Creek, Meremec Spring and River. Once Winter hits Jefferson lake in Forest Park, Busch Wildlife, Walker Lake in Kirkwood park etc etc. There are even fish in the MO river if you look in the right places.
mridenour likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM
mridenour

Yeah, I will be by! Don't want to miss out on anything.