The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:32 PM

lefty76 is on a distinguished road
Default Must have flies for Texas bass and perch?

What flies do ya'll have with you everytime you go? I've taken care of the rod, reel, and line. Time to take care of the flybox....Thanks!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Must have flies for Texas bass and perch?

I've been playing around with crawfish patterns that I plan on using a great deal this comming summer. Popers can be affective but it is hard to find on big enuff for bass. With the number of prey items in a lake, look for something that the bass feed heavily on. If you look through Cabelas you'll run into fly patterns of almost any type you can think of. For perch, as long as you can locate them in shallow water, any nymph, small streamer, or wet fly will work for them.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 AM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

look for patterns like these

They can be found at Cabelas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s7_310297_imageset_01.jpg (5.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg s7_314265_imageset_01.jpg (14.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg s7_315523_renderset_02.jpg (20.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks!!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Eh, those are big and expensive. Throw some size 10 olive bead head wooly buggers close to cover where the fish are and you'll catch tons.

Give me a little more detail on where you're fishing and I can tell you more specific info.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 PM

my house is going up near tawakoni, I'll visit Ray Bob and Ray Roberts occasionally as well. Any info on what flies that would be useful around E. Matty for trout and reds would be great too. Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

dood, JSYK, Ray Bob=Ray Roberts

I'm guessing you mean Ray Hubbard as well.

Tawakoni has actually become a pretty great striper lake here recently, but I don't know if you've got the rod for them (8+wt) or the boat to chase them. Clousers are the best bet I know of for stripers.

If you can get to the river that pours in to create any of those lakes, you might get into some great white bass fishing in the coming months. Small clousers are winners there too.

Specks and reds down on the coast, you guessed it- Clousers. Lots of other stuff works for all three situations, but it really is the first thing I tie on in all three situations. Chartruese and white is the most versatile color combo, and works well in all three situations. If you need to fish 1-3' deep, go with the bead chain eye version. Deeper- the lead/brass/etc version.

Poppers will work well for bass once the water warms up a bit more, and makes it more fun. Those with a head the size of peanut/hazelnut (roughly) are most versatile. Catches the big sunfish and lots of bass too.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 AM

haha, actually I meant Richland Chambers....you couldnt pay me to get on Ray Hubbard. I used to fish Tawakoni all the time for stripers when I was younger...I actually have caught more big stripers out of that lake than Texoma. Thanks for the info, looks like I'll need to stock up on some clousers. I've got a rigged 5wt, and I'm finishing up rigging an 8wt now.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the 8 will work alot better than the 5 for slingin clousers. Once you can swing it, a sinking line will get you into more stripers as well. Either a full sinker or a teeny type integrated shooting head line would be good. Something in the 200-300 grain range will work on an 8, 250 being ideal.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Some poppers would be good, small for panfish and big for bass. As was said, basic nymphs, wet flies, and dry flies will do for the panfish. Think standard trout flies. Add a couple of small foam or rubber spiders with rubber legs, and you're good to go.

Woolly Buggers in various sizes and colors for both species would be good. Last but not least, some streamers to imitate baitfish for the bass.

That bluegill imitation and crawfish imitation would go good in your fly box as well.