The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By mridenour
  • 3 Post By stl_geoff
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 2 Post By buddhist_palm
  • 2 Post By changler
  • 2 Post By jpbfly
  • 2 Post By stl_geoff
  • 1 Post By mridenour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 AM
mridenour

Default First trip of 2014

Got home last night from a 3-day trip to fish Lake Taneycomo in Branson. Me and Rick (Troutn) were loaded up with tons of flies and rods and reels and I was anxious to break in my new Kraken (hopefully on a big brown). We arrived at the Radisson in Branson just in time to see they would be generating the next day. After a trip to the lake to actually see with our own eyballs that the water was too high and swift for wading we went to Danna's and had enough BBQ to stuff the fatman at the circus.

We don't usually get Radisson accomodations but this time around I got a deal on Groupon and the room was 65 bucks a night, cheaper than the old La Quinta down the street. Plus we got 3 $25 vouchers for food in the hotel restaurant. I had some giant omelets before heading out each morning.

That first night we hit the hay early and the next morning we got up and went with "Plan B". We hopped in the truck and headed for Roaring River. The park is open to C&R only and the wind was blowing 25-35 with even higher gusts. We didn't expect we'd see many other people even if it was a Saturday. We were wrong about that. There were plenty of people out there fighting the wind with their fly rods and they fish bit pretty good.

I caught a nice 17" fish on my fourth cast with a wooly. Turns out, that was the biggest fish of the trip for me. We each caught about 25 that first day. The fishing got tougher and tougher as the day went on and the wind got so bad casting became a real adventure.

So it was back to the hotel for showers, warming up and then to the amateur MMA fights there in the hotel. That was a lot of fun. The fighters were mostly not so memorable but we got to probably see the entire career of a fighter that called himself "The Ox". It was his very first fight and I knew the gut hanging over the top of his trunks was a bad sign. After getting beat up really bad over the course of the first round and continuously being in a state of "Where the heck am I?" he decided that the second round was a bad idea after some advice from a guy in his corner. I firmly believe that the only guy he should ever try to hit in the course of the rest of his life is the guy that suggested he fight MMA.

Sunday morning, Taneycomo was generating again and we hit Roaring River at 19 degrees but the winds were under 10 mph. They were even more fishermen out and the fish were not nearly so cooperative. We managed to catch fish but only a few more than 30 as Rick outfished me by a bit. We headed back to the hotel in time to watch the second football game and slowly over the course of the game came to go from disliking the Seahawks to something that is more like loathing and contempt. That was even before the great interview with Rick Sherman!

Monday we hit the water at Roaring River again. We fished till about one o'clock and did really well. I struggled catching fish until I put an egg on and the spooky, well-educated fish seemed to not be able to resist it. Those fish have been caught and released a lot over the last couple months or so.

The lowlight of the trip was a group of "fishermen" that were keeping their fish. When I yelled over to Rick that they were keeping their catch, they grabbed their stuff and ran to their vehicle and disappeared. I guess they knew better. That stuff makes me sick. I have to admit that I didn't have the guts to confront them personally. They didn't appear to be the types of people that would feel bad about knocking the **** out of a 50-something year old man.

For the most part, it was an awesome trip. I didn't take any pics but the fish were beautiful and colored up nicely. Rick and I had fun while our wives went skiing somewhere in Tennessee. We caught over a hundred fish best we could count. Time to start planning the next trip!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: First trip of 2014

Sounds like fun. RR is a really cool park, each year when Im there over Thanksgiving I try to go to Taney but always go back to RR. Its just so pretty. I saw bald eagles last time there.

1. next time try to fish roaring river from the conservation access point outside the park. They stock brown from zone 3 to table rock but you can only access them from the CA access.

2. Put this number in your phone 1-800-392-1111. That's operation Game Theif. Call them, rangers will show up and issue fines or arrest people. We do it at Busch in the winter, its fun watching people getting busted and trying to play it off.
mcnerney, mridenour and troutn like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike: Congrats, sounds like a great trip despite the conditions!

Larry
mridenour likes this.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Sounds like fun. RR is a really cool park, each year when Im there over Thanksgiving I try to go to Taney but always go back to RR. Its just so pretty. I saw bald eagles last time there.

1. next time try to fish roaring river from the conservation access point outside the park. They stock brown from zone 3 to table rock but you can only access them from the CA access.

2. Put this number in your phone 1-800-392-1111. That's operation Game Theif. Call them, rangers will show up and issue fines or arrest people. We do it at Busch in the winter, its fun watching people getting busted and trying to play it off.
We had no cell service at the park. Neither Rick or I could call or even text.

We fished a little outside the park but only caught a few very small ones. We may not have been in the spot you are talking about.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Mike: Congrats, sounds like a great trip despite the conditions!

Larry
Not the best conditions but pretty good for January in Missouri.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

excellent report, next time...

MORE PHOTOS

mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

Always tough knowing when SWEPCO's gonna be generating- glad RR worked out as a backup. Only fished it once, but it was a pretty good time.

Danna's is good stuff. There was a fairly decent BBQ joint on the main drag in Cassville a few years back- not sure whether it's still there.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report...pity you didn't take any pics
Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
We had no cell service at the park. Neither Rick or I could call or even text.

We fished a little outside the park but only caught a few very small ones. We may not have been in the spot you are talking about.[COLOR="Silver"]
That's right, I forget there's no service in there. You can always call later and give license plates. They will usually put an APB out for them, MO doesn't mess around with poachers.

For future reference, here is the pdf of the area I speak of, off F.

http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/documents/ar...es/8623map.pdf

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Great report...pity you didn't take any pics
Mike: I agree with the others, post some photos with your trip report next time. A lot of us have never been fishing there and would like to see what it looks like.

Larry

Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
That's right, I forget there's no service in there. You can always call later and give license plates. They will usually put an APB out for them, MO doesn't mess around with poachers.

For future reference, here is the pdf of the area I speak of, off F.

http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/documents/ar...es/8623map.pdf
Thanks, Geoff! I'm trying to compare it to where we were.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Mike: I agree with the others, post some photos with your trip report next time. A lot of us have never been fishing there and would like to see what it looks like.

Larry

Yeah, I should have busted out the camera and taken some shots of the water and the park. I was in beast mode on the fishing trip and left the camera in the truck the whole weekend.
mcnerney likes this.