The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough
Default It's on.

It is official now. I will be heading down to Houston in the next three months. It will be a wrench to leave these hard fighting BIG North Platte trout of Wyoming.
So what can I fly fish for in the Houston area and what kind of tackle do I need?
Specks? Reds? What is in the fresh water apart from gators?
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's on.

Zeolite: Best wishes with your move south to Houston! Maybe there will be a fish or two for me to catch over on the North Platte.

Larry

Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Plenty of fly fishing if you have an open mind here within the city. I fly fish the bayou a ton and it runs through out Houston and surrounding areas. Have fought all sorts of species. Catfish, armored catfish, tilapia, mullet, carp, bass. Never seen the gathers though. I fish a 4 or 6wt for this purpose. If you like carp, you can get skunked here to your hearts content!

The salt can be great. Make sure you have an 8wt though some folks prefer a 7 or even a 6 when fishing the lights at night for trout.

There is tons of water around Houston to wet your line. Once you get settled, let me know if you wanna go wet your line.

The guys at orvis are good people and the folks at ifly are great. There are the Texas fly fishers that are always helpful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM

jhbcos5 is on a distinguished road

Might try the tail race below Canyon dam on the Guadalupe, as it is in the top 100 trout streams in the US according to TU:-)

mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM

shifty242 has a spectacular aura aboutshifty242 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbcos5 View Post
Might try the tail race below Canyon dam on the Guadalupe, as it is in the top 100 trout streams in the US according to TU:-)

Depending on traffic, the Guadalupe is 2.5 to 3 hrs away, but worth the trip if you want to chase freshwater trout. Call Action Angler or Reel Fly Fishing Adventures and they can tell you everything you need to know. Warning: it will not be like Wyoming...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Wel I am still in the Rockies and managed to skunk up at Grey Reef last Saturday. Been on my travels up in ND and what an icebox it was. Houston is still in my plans though.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:25 PM

I start in Houston on the 14th April so watch out fish. I am heading your way!
I certainly won't miss the cold and snow of Wyoming after this winter.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with the move and the new job in Houston!

Larry

Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 PM

I do intend to get a few more North Platte fish before I go. Hopefully the weather and flushes will let me get a few days out before April.

Thanks Larry
Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Been down here a few weeks now and it has been a bit hectic with a new job and trying to find a house. However we will be installed in our new house up in Porter in a couple of weeks and I will be looking for some fishing.
Does anyone have any info on the San Jacinto or fishing in the Humble area?