The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Access points for tannycomo in Branson area

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorguy View Post
That has got to be something to see. (Not participate in, just witness...)
It is something to see....not a good something but it is something.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Been in that mess at meramac park quite a few times. Not fun at all
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
It is something to see....not a good something but it is something.

What park is that?

When we were at Montauk last fall, I was hearing stories about guys cutting kids lines when one of the kids had a "lunker" hooked and other crazy happenings... Does that stuff really go on?? Knowing human nature, I'm guessing that it probably does. Sigh... I didn't deal well with "park" fishing in Sept/Oct. I know I would not like it in early March. It's too much like paying a farmer four bucks to go shoot a few of his chickens, but man I don't believe I've ever saw a place that was better for getting kids fired up about fishing. (Provided the above antics can be avoided.) The boys absolutely love it. They asked today if we were going in a couple weeks...lol.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 PM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road

I fish Bennett Springs State Park 80-100 days a year. In fact, my wife and I have left our camper (s)seasonally parked there for the past 12 years or so. I seldom get in the water for the opening day whistle, however, I typically go down just to watch and catch up with friends I may only see this one day each year. Although there are certainly anglers who get tangled, surprisingly, it's usually not that bad considering folks are literally shoulder to shoulder all the way up and down the stream. The thing is, when someone does get tangled, it is typically a big mess because instead of there being 2, maybe 3 people tangled, it might be 10-15. The "smarter folk" will usually just cut their line as soon as they see it being drug upstream. LOL
It's definitely a site to see several hundred anglers casting at the same time when that opening whistle blows.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
What park is that?

When we were at Montauk last fall, I was hearing stories about guys cutting kids lines when one of the kids had a "lunker" hooked and other crazy happenings... Does that stuff really go on?? Knowing human nature, I'm guessing that it probably does. Sigh... I didn't deal well with "park" fishing in Sept/Oct. I know I would not like it in early March. It's too much like paying a farmer four bucks to go shoot a few of his chickens, but man I don't believe I've ever saw a place that was better for getting kids fired up about fishing. (Provided the above antics can be avoided.) The boys absolutely love it. They asked today if we were going in a couple weeks...lol.
This is at Roaring River. It is the same at all the state trout parks on opening day. It is a ritual for many people. I don't know about guys cutting a kid's line but I can see it happening. It gets pretty crazy and a lot of people stay warm standing in the dark waiting for the whistle to blow by drinking. Most of my fishing inside the parks is during mid-day as there is good fishing outside where less people travel.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Not on opening day but we have been known to cut, burn, or purposely cross peoples lines. Most of the time this occurs when our wives are fishing and since they fish 2-3 times a year at best, they aren't always very accurate, so the a--clowns will try to butt them out of the way or, like one guy at Montauk did, snag their fish they finally caught as they are bringing it in. That usually results in their line being cut. Its really stupid.

that's one of the reasons we made the switch to fishing out side of the parks in the blue ribbon areas or in the C&R season when the real sportsmen are out.
mridenour and earthtrek like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-21-2014, 12:42 AM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Not on opening day but we have been known to cut, burn, or purposely cross peoples lines. Most of the time this occurs when our wives are fishing and since they fish 2-3 times a year at best, they aren't always very accurate, so the a--clowns will try to butt them out of the way or, like one guy at Montauk did, snag their fish they finally caught as they are bringing it in. That usually results in their line being cut. Its really stupid.

that's one of the reasons we made the switch to fishing out side of the parks in the blue ribbon areas or in the C&R season when the real sportsmen are out.
Geez.... I found myself doing that last October. My boys finally started catching some fish and suddenly this group of drunken idiots decides to butt in and crowd them out. Incredibly rude, but to do it to a kid was ten times worse. No problem-o... I gave the boys casting room by putting myself between them and the hillbillies. I then tied on a huge rapala that I had in a box in the truck and when the jokers starting their crowding, I started crossing and collecting lines. It was a bit comical... I was apologizing and doing my best Gomer Pyle impersonation. After cutting several lines, they decided to give the boys a little space...lol. My goal for this year is to wean the boys off of the park. I can't deal with that stress while I'm fishing. If some guy messed with my son and cut his line to keep him from landing a "lunker", I believe I would chuck him in. That would not be good for anyone involved. I'm hitting the saltwater in a couple weeks, we may try Montauk after that... Maybe things will have settled down a bit by then.
mridenour likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 AM

In the spring, if you can swing going to the park on weekdays, the pressure decreases exponentially. You can probably find places to fish out of sight of the next guy. Weekends will be bad but not as bad as opening day. Opening day is a party/ritual/event that doesn't have a whole lot to do with actual fishing as most people on earth know it.
labradorguy likes this.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
In the spring, if you can swing going to the park on weekdays, the pressure decreases exponentially. You can probably find places to fish out of sight of the next guy. Weekends will be bad but not as bad as opening day. Opening day is a party/ritual/event that doesn't have a whole lot to do with actual fishing as most people on earth know it.
One problem with going through the week.... School. Darn it. If I'm going through the week with no little buddies in tow, then you won't find me anywhere near a park. lol. Are you going?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
One problem with going through the week.... School. Darn it. If I'm going through the week with no little buddies in tow, then you won't find me anywhere near a park. lol. Are you going?
I am going to the Current River outside Montauk on the 16th of next month. We are only fishing one day this time around. We are planning some sort of weekend trip in April either north for steel or down to Southeast Missouri depending on what the weather conditions and fishing reports say. I've been unable to get out since last month...going a little crazy.