The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 04:18 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: So, how was the Missouri trout opener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r reese View Post
Roaring River not to badClick the image to open in full size.
I see, it's kinda like Black Friday trout fishin'.
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:50 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

I compare it to giving a farmer 4 bucks to go shoot a few of his chickens.... but I have to admit, it's a great place to get kids into fishing. They get an opportunity to learn a few life lessons there too...
Old 03-01-2014, 06:58 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I see, it's kinda like Black Friday trout fishin'.
Kinda, however Im usually at that park ON the real black Friday and there usually aren't more then a dozen people in the whole park haha.

Trout fishing in MO is two completely different scenes. The first is the shoulder to shoulder trout park, powerbait catch 4 to eat then go back to sleep crowd ( which is a BUNCH of people ). the second is the much smaller group who use the trout parks for the camp grounds, then venture out to the waters surrounding and outside of the parks for "Western" ( ie. decent sized water, boat is helpful but wading works, you see maybe another person all day...maybe ) styled trout fishing, which also has a even smaller sub category of waters that don't have camp grounds close and are tiny pocket waters with wild reproducing rainbows that are tiny little jewels. Im the latter of the 2.
mridenour likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-01-2014, 07:24 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I wasn't knocking your state's trout fishing Geoff. Not at all as I know you have some nice streams down there. The folks in the park look like they are having fun, and they are kinda outdoors lol. That's what fishing is about, no matter how you find your pleasure in it. I don't know about MO, but Iowa's urban stocking program is what keeps the stocking program somewhat solvent. They dump a thousand trout is some of or lakes (big ponds) and its shoulder to shoulder. Not my thing, but what a great idea to get kids catchin a few rainbows on the ol snoopy pole. If Iowa had to depend on fly fishermen's trout stamp sales alone, it would be game over for the stocking program in a season.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:15 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I know you weren't, but its ok if you do, I mock it constantly! haha

we do the same thing here, stock trout in the urban lakes/ponds in the winter. The opening day crowd is something.....some have fun, some are very bitter/angry about getting "their" spot. The wild areas are where its at.
mridenour likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
...some are very bitter/angry about getting "their" spot. The wild areas are where its at....
Hey the guy has been fishing in "his spot" for 40 years. How hard is that for you to understand lol. Same thing goes on in Iowa. When I fish stocked streams (which is usually), I usually come a few days later and pick up their leftovers on the fly.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:04 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

When I was down in Missouri a fellow down there wanted to take me fishing down on the meramec... He goes "you can start fishing when the horn sounds" I was like "wtf.. what horn"... It's like a race or something down there... *shakes head*

Needless to say... I went somewhere that didn't involve horns...
Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 PM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road

Due to the weather forecast, I decided not to go this year, but have been probably 20 out of the past 30 years. Opening day for me is more for the event itself than to catch fish. It's a great time to catch up with anglers who may only come down 1-2 times a year, but always make it for opening. Can't tell you the last time I was actually in the water for the opening whistle, or for any whistle for that matter, but it a pretty cool event to take in..
Old 03-02-2014, 12:53 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

80,000 people per mile... A hell of a lot of people definitely a good place for Flyfishers to stay away from & as The Pic Shows it wouldn't be too hard to Hookup on The Back Cast.
Brian
Old 03-02-2014, 12:13 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
He goes "you can start fishing when the horn sounds" I was like "wtf.. what horn"...
LOL!

There's a phenomena at the parks called a "whistle fish" or a "buzzer fish." A lot of people will catch a fish on the first cast when the whistle sounds. I haven't done it myself, normally because that little thing called a doze button means I'm still putting waders on or tying a fly on when the horn sounds.

I understand that they try to ween them from pellets with a diet of beetles and so forth, but they still are very much cued in on things hitting the water especially at first.

Another quirk: Trout park fish learn very fast. You'll often catch a few fish right in a row, and then it goes dead. Switch to a different fly, and you'll get the same thing.

A real challenge is trying to locate a lunker and getting him to hit. That fish has seen a huge number of flies and managed to make it to old age. There's some people who do it seriously and they are very skilled.