The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 10:46 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice
Default A day on the water

Cold, the thermometer reads 14 degrees. It is supposed to get into the mid forties today and there will be no wind. Sounds like an Ozark caddis opportunity to me. The snow from Sunday is a frozen pack of ice at the parking lot. It is around 0900. Nice not to have to get up too early during the winter months.

Click the image to open in full size.

Numb fingertips and frozen guides. I am glad to have a few hand warmer packs on me.

No worries about having the river to myself today. It is just me, myself and I along with a few deer and turkey tracks.

I really like fishing UL fiberglass these days. The "fish on" feeling is unlike anything I have experienced. Might I need to venture into boo?

The fish are healthy and have been gorging. Swinging the "Mis-Fit" midge I got from the fly swap on the way down and size 18 elk hair caddis on the way back up.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:05 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: A day on the water

Nice brown! I need to get to that section of river soon. I so lust to touch a brown that size there

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 PM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road

What river is this if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:35 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Nice fish! Just want to remind you that when its that cold and you pull a fish out of the water you have a high chance of killing it.

Nick
Old 03-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joe: Great trip report, photos and fish, thanks for sharing. I can relate to that cold wx, we have had our share here in Wyoming.......I'm getting all too familiar with frozen guides and reels. Argh!

Larry

Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Nick, I can appreciate your comments. You can't really see it in the photo but that fish was quite wet when I took the photo. The net was in the water and the back third of the fish was submerged. There was no way to unhook that fish without netting it. I actually had to cut off the fly as my tippet was threaded through some skin on his lower lip. It looked like a good release.

I was fishing on the Blue Ribbon stretch of the Current River.
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:44 AM
mridenour

I'll be in that stretch on Sunday! Glad to see they are eating well.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 AM

Mike,

The water should be in great shape. Both the day and night time temps are warming and most of that packed snow should be gone. The water may be up a bit over the weekend and maybe even off colored. Could be a great opportunity to swing and strip meaty streamers! FWIW, the caddis for the past three weeks have been #18 black and #16 tan adults. Size down for emerger patterns. This could all change by the weekend but that was what I saw.

Make sure you let me know how the water looks on Sunday!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:01 PM

lurker66 is on a distinguished road

Reading an illustrated thread is way cool. Thanks for the report and shareing the pics.

I shoulda fished today.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That brown is beautiful....so is that brown...glass rod