Lower mountain fork river regulars.

jmhall87

Reaction score
I'm new to tying flies and I keep hearing about this fly called the spillway creek caddis, I've never so much as seen a picture of one though, if anyone would be kind enough to post a picture much less a tying recipe I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll be making my next trek up there at the beginning of November.

jcw355

Reaction score
That might be Rob Woodruffs pattern. He's an orvis endorsed guide and if you're reading the orvis fishing reports he is the one that writes them. He guides out of Three rivers fly shop. I've seen it but cant tell you what the materials are because I dont know. It's really bright, chartreuse and black. Someone correct me if im wrong but I believe thats it.

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 AM ----------

Rob did say that the caddis turn that really bright color in the winter. Im thinking he said around February. I took his entomology class a couple years back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

lmffisher

Reaction score
I too cannot tell you the caddis that you are referring to, but there is a nice black caddis hatch during the late winter and spring months. Also, down lower below the Evening Hole Bridge, there's a pretty nice size caddis(size 12 or larger) that hatches during the fall months. Great dry fly fishing. I plan on heading down that way soon. Hope to post a good report. Good luck.

jmhall87

Reaction score
Really? I've never seen anybody catch much below the evening hole bridge. I usually camp in the hickory campground. I'll be up there with a buddy the weekend of November 9th will these huge caddis be hatching then?

lmffisher

Reaction score
Jmhall87,
Well, I was down there last week and unfortunately, didn't see any of the large caddis, but did see quite a few black and light colored caddis on Spillway. Maybe they are late and you might get into some of those nice bugs by the time November rolls around. Hope you do.
I hung into a large bow down at the Forty Foot Hole, and missed a nice brown. Some really nice fish were rising out in the deep, slack, slow moving part of the pool, but it was out of my casting range. I couldn't see what they were rising to, but think it was probably midges or small mayflies.
I had a great day of fishing and fought a very nice brown for about five minutes, but as my luck normally goes, he pulled loose. I did catch several other browns in the 10-14" range. Spillway, Evening Hole, and areas downstream of the bridge all produced well for me, but didn't bring anything large to hand. Largest was a 15" rainbow from Spillway. He appeared to be a recent stocker. I didn't do well at all in Zone II. Only had two hits in that area.
The water is a little on the warm side, but not life threatening to the fish. My thermometer showed 67 degrees at Spillway, and 64 degrees in Zone II. The lake is rather low going by the summer pool level so that, or the lake maybe "turning over" is the reason for the warmer water. Plan on heading back down there next week. Will try to post a report on that trip as well.

jmhall87

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed report, I'll be there soon to post a detailed report of my own

lmffisher

Reaction score
Have been on vacation and spent a week, or more, at the LMF. Had a great time and the fishing was stellar. Caught lots of very nice bows and browns. This past week, caught three browns that were nice size. 16-19" long measured. Caught plenty of the 10-13" browns also. Also caught several bows that measured 15-19". And as usual, plenty of the new stocker size bows to add to the list.
A couple of weeks ago, the wildlife department stocked 6,000-8,000 10-12" browns. In Zone II, you could easily catch all you care too. Sure hoping these guys have spread out and will grow to trophy size. From what I heard, the browns are mitigation fish and they were stocked in all three zones.
And lastly, the eagles have made their return. Have seen two of them just this past week.

lmffisher

Reaction score
May make a run down to the LMF this coming weekend. Supposed to be heavy rains, so I may get run off the water. If I do get in some fishing, I'll try to post a report.

lmffisher

Reaction score
Only got to fish about two, two and a half hours on Saturday, but fishing was good in the short time I did. Caught one nice 17" brown along with smaller browns and bows. Did lose a couple of really nice fish. Don't know if they were bows or browns.
The weather was nice, other than the occasional rain, and the park was rather crowded. Don't plan on going back for a couple of weeks or so. Good luck and good fishing.

okieflier

Reaction score
The Lower Mountain Fork River in the Beavers Bend State Park is a real challenge to fish right now. The Corpse of Engineers opened two of the spillway releases and the Spillway Creek is at near flood stage. From the dam down to the Cold Hole bridge is about impossible to fish. The Cold Hole Lost Creek area, and Evening Hole are fishable but you need to be really careful when wading. This event hopefully will be over by the first part of May.

lmffisher

Reaction score
Okieflier,
Thanks for the update. Trying to decide whether to head down there this week or not. May wait a little longer. Might try the LI tomorrow instead. Thanks again.

jcw355

Reaction score
Okieflier,
Thanks for the update. Trying to decide whether to head down there this week or not. May wait a little longer. Might try the LI tomorrow instead. Thanks again.
Might want to keep your eye on the cfs, was 90's, now over 500

lmffisher

Reaction score
Thanks jcw355. My buddy called me earlier today and we decided to wait on the LI also. Guess I'm looking at the wrong website. The one I've been looking at is showing 67 cfs. at 8:00 p.m. today(4-13-15) with no gate changes in the last four days. With the increase in the upper Mt. Fork flow rate, I wouldn't be surprised if heavier releases will be scheduled for the Lr. Mt. Fork as well. Thanks again.

jcw355

Reaction score
They got over 3 " of rain so water will be dirty from runoff and other inflow. Just checked the usgs sight and cfs was at 390 now.

lmffisher

Reaction score
Wow! Sounds like a good rain! Maybe more on the way?
The wife and I decided to head to the LMF. They are still releasing over 1,000 cfs., but still had plenty of action. Caught several browns, but none over 13". Did see one very large brown rise to a March Brown, but he didn't like any of my offerings. Did have one large fish get off in the fast water, but that was the extent of my bigger fish. Still had a lot if fun with the stocker size bows, which seemed to be everywhere there was a break in the current.

jcw355

Reaction score
You needed to click the link to Gore to see he actual river cfs at the stream gauge. That 67 cfs might have been from the dissolved oxygen machine. That and the sluice gate release makes it higher plus rain inflow.

lmffisher

Reaction score
Yes. Thanks. See what you are saying. Will look at that web address from now on. A big help.

lmffisher

Reaction score
My buddy and I were going to try the LI next week, but I noticed yesterday they opened up on the gates more. They are now releasing 5,000 cfs. So unless that changes, we'll be waiting till later on the Lr. Illinois.

jcw355

Reaction score
We're thinking about hitting the Roaring river sometime next week. I'm actually surprised they didn't open the conduit gates earlier.