The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree43Likes
  • 12 Post By karstopo
  • 7 Post By ia_trouter
  • 4 Post By ottosmagic13
  • 4 Post By moucheur2003
  • 4 Post By Rip Tide
  • 5 Post By fredaevans
  • 3 Post By runningfish
  • 2 Post By clay tonian
  • 2 Post By Ard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 08:33 PM

karstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to behold
Default I caught a redfish today before making my first cast.

Click the image to open in full size.

So I paddle to a spot today about noon and stake out. Take the newly tied shrimp fly off the rod with the tippet and drop the fly inches off my starboard side. I'm in 15" water. I wasn't fishing yet. I was getting my the contents of the kayak situated so that I could begin to cast into a little channel hemmed in by oyster shell. Fly was just laying in the water out of the way.

I look over and see my leader mysteriously moving forward perpendicular to the minor current. I pick up the rod and set the hook on the little redfish in the photo.

Second fish of the day wasn't much different. That time I had a little more line out and was repositioning my kayak when a flounder took the shrimp. This fish I did a long distance release.

I found a few more little redfish and some tiny speckled trout. The wind got up and any chance of spotting fish up shallow got knocked down.

Had a good time. I'm not in any good fish at the moment. March can be a time of transition for salty fish hereabouts. Nothing to worry about.
bigjim5589, Ard, mcnerney and 9 others like this.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:57 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I caught a redfish today before making my first cast.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. I've caught a few fish with the rod under my armpit while I was rummaging around for tackle.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 AM

ottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of lightottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of lightottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of lightottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of lightottosmagic13 is a glorious beacon of light

I've caught one of my better browns like IA said, with the rod under my arm. I had a streamer on and decided to switch to a dry after seeing a few fish rise. My line and streamer were directly downstream; just about ripped the rod out of my armpit when the fish hit and cut across the seam.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 AM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future

Sell all your rods, you don't need them anymore. Just buy a cheap tube of Marine Goop, glue your reel foot to the stern of your kayak, and retire on the rest of the proceeds!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A couple years ago while fishing a river in Maine, I slipped on the rocks and went for a swim, busting the tip off my wading staff in the process.
After regaining what was left of my dignity, I collected up my line to find that a land locked salmon had taken that opportunity to grab my fly
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Steelhead .... two when I was just stripping out line for my 'first cast.' Damned near 'peed my waders.'

fae
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM

runningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud of

Karstopo....baitfishing stories aren't allowed here
Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 PM

clay tonian will become famous soon enough

wasn't it a shrimp fly?
bigjim5589 and karstopo like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 PM

karstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to beholdkarstopo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay tonian View Post
wasn't it a shrimp fly?
Click the image to open in full size.

Definitely not the real deal. I've been tying these for about a year on an as needed for personal use basis. The one on the right is the fly in question. It has lost some rubber legs and flash and a bit of EP after many little redfish. Speckled trout, and at least one flounder bit into the fly.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

I always like it when things go unexpectedly but well Last fall I was doing my best to catch some steelhead and after dropping downriver a ways I waded out above a nice troth. I flipped the fly into the water and stripped off a bunch of line preparing for a cast. The fly had some time to drift down with the current so I shook some line out the rod tip. Once there was a fair amount out (enough to load a cast) I started sweeping the rod and line upstream. Bang, just like that I caught one. It was a very likely spot so I wasn't too surprised but it was pretty easy.

I've only ever caught what you are fishing for along the Florida coast years ago but wouldn't mind one like you got throwing itself on the hook before I even started.
ejsell and karstopo like this.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;