The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 02:43 PM

hammer84 is on a distinguished road
Default Bennet Springs question

I want to take my 6 year old fishing. When I was his age the family trip every years was bennett springs. I si going to be me, my dad and my sons. Can't wait to get the 3 generations on the water.

Do I need to plan on going on a week day ?? I have no idea what the crowds are like on the weekends.

I'm also open to any other trout parks in Mo. I want how to be able to catch fish right away to keep his interest.

thanks

--myke
Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bennet Springs question

I've fished Bennett on the weekdays. It is said to be signficantly less crowded although you won't have seclusion at any time.

I think they have a kids fishing scheduled in the next week or two. Might be worth calling about. They set off a stretch of stream for kids--adults can only help and there's hot dog roast involved.

To get into fish, I'd recommend either just above the dam fishing right toward it, or the hatchery outlet. Fish glo-bugs under an indicator---4-5 ft. deep. They stock a lot of fish in those areas and glo-bugs work well, especially the "tri-color" ones yopu can get at the park store.

Here's a good website: Weaver's Tackle Store

They have a twice weekly fishing report. The general word coming out of Bennett is that the fish have been deep because of heavy rain though that may be changing now that the water is clearing.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:09 PM

caynedawg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bennet Springs question

I would recommend Montauk in Salem, mo. Better fishing in my opinion and you can also get just outside the park and find some good fishing with a little less crowd. We hit tan vat access and baptist access around mid march and had a ball. Caught tons of fish. Not sure what the crowds are like down there this time of year, but I imagine anything is better than bennet.