The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Gray day on the Medina

Saturday, I headed up to the trusty Medina with plans to use the float tube. Flooding has changed the shape of the river in the spots I was planning to float, so I hoofed it instead. Found a spot I've not fished before, rigged up the short 5 with the line for the long 6 I planned on swingin from the tube, and climbed in.

Click the image to open in full size.

I quickly caught a Rio Grande Perch on a popper, but he was quicker than the photographer. This guy wasn't though.

River got prettier as it got skinnier.

Got about a mile away from where I started and found a much bigger pool with some deep water and cover off to one side. I tied on a popper to poke in the open spots in the cover, and of course a fleet of 2' long bottom feeders cruise up. Caught a few sunfish on the popper but nothing sizeable.
I went a bit further up and found a shaded spot with less to hang on underneath it. I tied on a brass eyed Clouser colored like a Striper, and after a few casts hooked into this-

Good times on a 5wt.

Oh yeah, can anybody explain this? The cactus really was growing out of a dead tree-

Very pretty little run with a few fish in the pool at the bottom.

Another storm was coming in, so I headed back to the car. Had this gorgeous site waiting for me near the car-

Not my most action packed day on that river, but still good stuff. Big fish on a 5wt are damn fun.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:51 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Gray day on the Medina

Cliff

Sounds like a great day on the water!! Nice pics thanks for sharing with those of who have been too busy to get out lately.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Big Cliff - Great pics...brought back alot of memories. I used to fish the Medina when I was stationed at Kelly AFB in the late 70's.....Being a poor GI I had to find fun on the cheap...my wife and baby son would go with me... I would fish and then we would have a picnic. Now the son is 34...time flies..but your pics brought back some wonderful memories....Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Cliff is that north or south of hwy 90?

Bruce
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

WAY north. Just upstream of Bandera.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.