The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 06:01 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Below Roaring River

I am heading to Roaring River for a week starting the 17th.

Last year I fished next to the bluff just before you get to the cables in some of the little fast water and did great. I have never fished below. I figure I will stop at Tim's Fly shop and talk to him but thought I would post it here.

So..
How is the fishing below the park?
Can you car shuttle down below about a mile or two and hike upstream?
Is the Catch and Release worth bringing the Chest waiters?
Last time I found out I couldn't go up from the bridge in waist waders
without going over the top. So I didn't fish that section.

Is fishing up near mill creek worth the 40 minute drive this late in the season?

Thanks for the help

CritterGetter
Old 10-06-2010, 03:50 PM

chris alman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Below Roaring River

Not sure I can quite answer your question. From the fishing that I've experienced there, I was unable to catch anything over 12-14 in. Which, I might say is not bad.

However, I was at Lake Taneycomo just below the dam 2 weeks ago and caught quite a few nice rainbows. Total for the 3 days I was there, I caught around 45 rainbows. Most of which were right around 16-18 in. mark. I did manage to catch 4 that were 20+ inches.

It's a great place to fish. The only concern I have with going there is whether or not they are running water, but if you are staying at roaring river you could always call the corps of engineers office in Branson and they will let you know if they are running water when you call.

I had the most luck using a #6 split-shot, gray scud with a brown scud trailing it. The other guys I was fishing with weren't having any luck until they switched over to my setup.

Hope you have fun! Again, sorry I don't have more input on Roaring River.

I did forget to mention that the locals there said the browns should be running in the next 2-3 weeks which makes it perfect timing for you to hook up on some monsters!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Thanks for the update Chris. We might need to take a road trip. I think Roaring River to Taney is only about 45 minutes.

CritterGetter
Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 AM

MO Trout Hunter is on a distinguished road

I haven't fished that stretch in many years, but when I lived in Springfield, it was a pretty common destination for me. Back in the day, I always had good luck, but it's more like a wild trout creek than anything else. When you head out the back door of the park, you'll drive past a series of gravel access roads on your right that will take you to the creek. And when you eventually get to the blacktop, a right turn will take you to a bridge crossing the creek. I don't know about public access nowadays, but you can jump in the creek at any of those points and find fish. I always had luck drifting generic nymphs (pheasant tails, hare's ears, etc.) under indicators, and occasionally good luck with dries. But the concentration of fish is not high, so keep moving upstream as you fish. 3 or 4 good drifts through a spot, and move upstream. Cover a lot of water, and you'll find fish that just don't get fished much. Can be a lot of fun.

Mill Creek is fishing good, too. Pretty small fish, though. You'll catch plenty of 3-inch and 6-inch fish, with the occasional 9- or 12-incher. There are bigger fish there, but you'll need to very technically proficient for a shot at them -- and lucky.

Good luck!

Come Learn How to Fly Fish With Us
TROUT HUNTER FLY FISHING SCHOOL
Old 10-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks Walt, I was hoping the road would get us close enough to jump off and fish upstream for 1/2 of the day. And it doesn't sound like a Cardiac Hill hike. Hopefully, we can be stealty as well.

I hope Meramac has treated you well this year. Early spring I did what you said not to in your blogs and try to fish up from Cardiac at 600CFM's. And of course I forgot my Felt Korkers and only had rubber so I was slipping and sliding.

Thanks again. I will take pics and let you know.

Crittergetter
Old 10-11-2010, 06:41 PM

MO Trout Hunter is on a distinguished road

Glad you didn't go for a swim! Actually, Cardiac is fishable at 750, IMO (although borderline treacherous), but I draw a firm line at 600 with clients. I've taken a lot of guys fishing over the years that have balance problems, and I hate playing lifeguard!

Come Learn How to Fly Fish With Us
TROUT HUNTER FLY FISHING SCHOOL
Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard of some large fish living down below the park which are always worth a shot. Also taneycomo wouldn't be a bad choice either. Going to school in Springfield has it's benefits as some of MO's best trout fishing is around here... ish. I've heard the browns are moving up river in Taneycomo, and night fishing has been great as well as some streamer fishermen. Good Luck
Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
I've heard of some large fish living down below the park which are always worth a shot. Also taneycomo wouldn't be a bad choice either. Going to school in Springfield has it's benefits as some of MO's best trout fishing is around here... ish. I've heard the browns are moving up river in Taneycomo, and night fishing has been great as well as some streamer fishermen. Good Luck
Thanks Lancer... I forgot about the night fishing at taney... I have heard some really good rumors on that.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Weather was great down at Roaring River. Tree's are starting to turn my bet is peak will be this week to next weekend.

Water is down a bunch. Tim from Tim's Fly shop did say there are still a few holes left to fish and some are big. I didn't make the hike because I strained my calf muscle so I didn't want to do a hike upstream over rocks.

Fish are running a tad small this year. 10 to 11" stockers on average. Little Midges worked well as well as night time Caddis and Cream Midge top water fly's.

We almost went to Taney but we were just happy to sit and look at the tree's and drink some Shafly Oktoberfest and contemplate the fuzz in our navels...

Thanks for all the input.
CritterGetter

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by crittergetter; 10-23-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:46 AM

canine is on a distinguished road

puh-leeeeze...QUIT DRINKING THE OKTOBERFEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm starting to have trouble finding it in some of the stores around here) Oh and nice report.