The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default End of a Good Summer (TR)

We've finally cooled off a bit, so the prime time for all our summer-thriving fish is running short.

I headed out to fish a section I've fished above and below, but had never actually hit. With the river still being a bit high, it mostly turned out to be too deep and fast to wade, but the portions that worked produced nicely.

Click the image to open in full size.

Turns out flooding can set up a bonfire that needs only a match-

I caught loads of sunfish, and a few smaller bass-

Before finding the largest Guadalupe Bass I've ever caught-

and a very nice Rio Grande Perch as well-

Neither of those get very big at all, hence "runts".

That'll do.
Click the image to open in full size.[/color][/report]

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: End of a Good Summer (TR)

Gotta love that perch, I never saw one and didn't know that they existed nor had I seen or heard of the bass. Pretty cool looking fish Cliff

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

BigCliff: Very nice report and photos! That Rio Grande Perch looks awesome! You must be getting lots of rain down there for the stream to be that high.

Larry
Old 10-06-2010, 05:34 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Yes, Very Cool fish.....
And beautiful stream as well....

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's a good looking stream, even if it's a little high. The Perch is really cool!

Thanks for the link to "Keller and the Keels" Two Truly Great Bluegrass pickers!
Having been fortunate enough to have seen Larry and Jenny Keel play 'live' a few times....All I can say is they just keep getting "Better and Better"

Now I need to see them with Keller Williams.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
BigCliff: Very nice report and photos! That Rio Grande Perch looks awesome! You must be getting lots of rain down there for the stream to be that high.

Larry
We've had a very wet year and it just keeps coming. That river has about 5x the flow it did last year, and thats even after letting it drop a good bit.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.