The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: Lower Mountain Fork Evening Hole Project

Thanks Mike for posting that document. I was trying to get the time to post it myself. Thanks!!!

I encourage all interested anglers to read the document. It is lengthy but contains good information. The document conclution is as follows:

A suite of problems have severely limited the fishing potential and recreational value of the Evening Hole section of the lower Mountain Fork River. ODWC proposes to restore this area by creating a multi-stage channel with adjacent wetland and oxbow habitats. Extensive geomorphic and hydraulic data was collected from the site and processed with computer models to aid develop of the restoration plan. Treatment - response scenarios show significant physical benefits from the projected action with virtually immeasurable impact to flood stage. Completion of the project will improve nearly ½-mile of trout fishery resulting in benefits to fishing and associated recreation, constituent satisfaction, biotic diversity, sediment routing and hydrology.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Hey Steve & Mike,
Thanks for the info. I'm still reading on it but so far good info.

Is there a list of LMFR board members somewhere so that we can pick their thoughts on the issue? As I understand it that Jesse King, Mike Love, Mike Birdsong are members of this board. Is that correct? Do they have an open forum meeting to discuss this topic or is it behind close doors. If someone would shed some light on what is discussed during there meetings please let us know.

It sounds to me that its not really an issue of a vote that must be cast in order for the project to go through but an issue of money matching at this point.

I plan to bring this issue to the East Texas Fly Fishers club at our next meeting to see what their view is on the project. Initally, I support the project but I still have issues about how the environment will be affected by such a project. I will contine to read the documents that Mike B. presented and hopefully it will be a little clearer.

I have some pictures to share of the Evening Hole that are really nice. Its no doubt that it is a scenic place but with all things in life there can always be room for improvement. Enjoy!

Thanks,
Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EveningHole03a.jpg (29.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg EveningHole04a.jpg (33.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg EveningHole05a.jpg (36.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-24-2005, 02:08 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

We are better off than 10 years a go in the fishery because of stocking programs and the rearing pen project which the LMFRF is commited to funding.

However not all projects are sucessful or everlasting. Spillway Creek water impoundments and underwater structures have been rebuilt 3 times because of flooding. I was there this year fishing when a heavy rain washed nearly all the logs structures from their moorings. When the Flood gates were opened in 1990 the water washed all of spillway creek out top to bottom. Any changes in the river in the area of the evening hole will meet the same demise should the Spillway gates be opened again. Gone will be our money and more silt down the river.

Lets spend our money on the Cold water project and drop the river tempataure 5 degrees. mike love
Old 08-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Of course the coldwater project verdict is still out until further testing and computer modeling is up at the end of the year. Waiting for the results currently but I believe Paul Balkenbush from ODWC is optimistic with the results so far.

If anyone has anymore details about the spillway flooding and washing out the structures of the spillway please let us know.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Love
Lets spend our money on the Cold water project and drop the river tempataure 5 degrees. mike love
Mike has a good point and one that I would like more information on. It sounds like the Lower Mountain Fork Cold Water Project would benifit the entire river and not just one section.

Who know the details and the status of the Cold Water Project?

Old 08-24-2005, 02:54 PM

norcal FF will become famous soon enoughnorcal FF will become famous soon enough

This is a great thread!!! Keep it up guys!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Hey,
I've sent an email with this thread to all the officers and board members of the Lone Star Fly Fishers and East Texas Fly Fishers in order for them to share their views on this subject.

Hope to hear from them soon.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-24-2005, 05:05 PM

chris white will become famous soon enoughchris white will become famous soon enough

To date the Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation does not have an official stance on the evening hole project. We will be discussing the topic in full at our upcoming quarterly meeting. We presently have verbally committed to a small donation to the ODWC for the project; however, this could change after all sides of the project are discussed. I would say there is not a consensus on the subject and it makes for an intersesting debate. If you would like to take part in the discussion, feel free to join us on Saturday the 22nd of October at the Broken Bow City Library at 5:00 pm.
Chris White
Chairman, LMFRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefullcreel
Mike has a good point and one that I would like more information on. It sounds like the Lower Mountain Fork Cold Water Project would benifit the entire river and not just one section.

Who know the details and the status of the Cold Water Project?
The status of the cold water project is still in the 2nd phase of the process. We are awaiting the completion of the model to determine the impact the process will have on the reservior. That is scheduled to be finished in early to mid 2006. The 3rd phase of the 4 part project is the feasability study. The LMFRF has earmarked 15k for completion of this project.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Thanks Chris

So it appears the ODWC is proceeding with both the Evening Hole Restoration and the Cold Water Project provided enough funds are available.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Mr. White provided me a link to the Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation web site that provides details about how the ODWC is researching a solution to the coldwater issues of the LMFR. Please review the following link when you get the chance:

Lower Mountain River Foundation Coldwater Project Web Page

Thanks,
Terry