The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2005, 09:27 PM

chris white will become famous soon enoughchris white will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lower Mountain Fork Evening Hole Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefullcreel
Thanks Chris

So it appears the ODWC is proceeding with both the Evening Hole Restoration and the Cold Water Project provided enough funds are available.
Yes, and let me add that the LMFRF is not the only organization that is involved with funding these projects. There are two Trout Unlimited chapters in Oklahoma that have pledged donations to the Evening Hole restoration project. Our decision on whether to support the Evening Hole restoration may not impact its final outcome.
Chris White
Old 08-31-2005, 12:14 PM

ODWC SER Fisheries will become famous soon enoughODWC SER Fisheries will become famous soon enough
Default Restoration of Evening Hole

Greetings,

The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation’s southeast region fisheries management staff is pleased to see the ongoing interest in enhancing the lower Mountain Fork River (lMFR) trout fishery. It is plain to see that anglers are concerned about the wise use and conservation of this unique and valuable resource. This is also evident in the support of our management endeavors in which anglers generously invest their money, time and passion.

Proper management of the lMFR trout fishery requires a holistic view of the resource. All aspects of a stream sport fishery are addressed in our efforts including human dimensions, regulatory controls, fish density, in-stream habitat and water quantity and quality. The Evening Hole Restoration Plan is one part of this overall strategy that is founded on a culmination of advanced training in restoration of degraded streams and a peer review process.

It is our hope that opinions about the Evening Hole restoration project are based on scientific principals and facts. To help facilitate this we have provided complete text from the plan and the PowerPoint presentation used to describe it. Please consult these resources as you formulate your opinions and feel free to ask us questions. The reference materials are exhaustive and geared for the engineering community but we believe that the investment of time toward their review will help you form a broad foundation from which to work. Just keep in mind that many components of the work, including a pond and extensive stream-side vegetation, are not including in plan drawings because of it’s intended audience.

It should be noted that damage caused from previous floods in Spillway Creek can be attributed to early river enhancement protocols. These experimental designs were being used sooner that later while more advanced options were being developed and learned. Many anglers benefitted from these previous efforts as noted by the strong and positive constituent feedback. They are not, however, representative of present techniques currently being employed. This is evident in the recent advancements in technology now in place in Spillway Creek near Cold Hole where progressive restoration strategies have been established. These structures are designed to withstand foreseeable flood scenarios while meeting local restoration and habitat improvement needs.

The Evening Hole project restores a reach of stream that is not functioning properly in it’s present environment. Initiation of the plan integrates all aspects of our holistic management scheme. Of chief importance among those is that the project ensures proper sediment transport capacity and flood routing, improves habitat for fish, provides cooler water and preserves aesthetics. It is our opinion that, in the end, the stream and it’s constituents will both benefit from this work.

Lastly, please accept our sincere appreciation of your time and support. We look forward to working with all of you as we try to make fishing better for everyone.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Thanks for giving us all so much information on which to base our opinions.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:27 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

He group.

I have been silent on this subject for a while because Paul and James made some verbal changes to the proposed project during a discussion that I was a participant in recently.

It is my understanding that Paul and James are to be invited to a walk through of the evening hole on Oct 22 at 1:00 in the afternoon pryor to the evening meeting of the LMFRF. This will give them an opportunity to explain any changes and clarification of the points of interest of the project.

Per the last conversation they shared with me, the general appearance of the river would remain the same with a narrow vegetated berm dividing the river into a slow moving section and a faster 40 to 60 foot wide section.

If it improves habitat that will sustain fish growth and is not a catch and kill arena it could be good for the fishery. I look forward to their presentation.

mike love
Old 09-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sounds like that would be faster simpler and cheaper than the original plan, making it seem more likely that it will be done sooner. It also may be a happy medium between those who want no change and those who are looking forward to having some faster water there.

Thanks for the update!

Old 10-24-2005, 03:15 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lower Mountain Fork Evening Hole UPDATE!!

Fellow fly fishermen

The Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation met October 22. James Vincent of the Oklahoma Depart of Wildlife brought us a dramatically revised Evening Hole Project for our support. I am happy to report that most of the concerns that some of us had have been resolved. I feel that what they now plan to do will enhance the river and will not destroy the Hex hatch that at occurs on the west side of the river..there will be more fishable water and ultimately they will do more stocking in that section of the river.

The LMFRF pledged $5000.00 to the project and would hope that others would finish out the rest of the $25,000. needed to match the other funds for the project. I believe another $7,000.00 is needed to begin the project.

Maybe James will provide an electronic update of the project soon.

mike love
Old 02-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

I was looking for some info today on updates to the evening hole project, and the progress looks amazing. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/streamrest.htm The pictures at the bottom take a little while to load, but really show the huge amounts of progress that have been made. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'm going up for the weekend and to fish the One Fly Tourney saturday and I can't wait to get up there and fish the new sections. Glad i'll be able to make it up there round noon and have some time on the evening hole before the weekend crowds flock in. Anybody fished it recently and have reports on the fishing there in particular?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Cliff,

The fishing has been great of late. Hatches of March Browns have been reported this last week.

Should be a great weekend as well. There are a lot of things going on at the LMF. Sidstock in cabins #29 & #30 in the park Fri., Sat., & Sunday. Also, The Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation Meeting at 5pm Sat. at the Hochatown Lodge.

Cliff, I'll be fishing the One Fly as well so hunt me up if you get the chance. It should be a great weekend.

Later,
Terry