The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 12:28 AM

Pickle is on a distinguished road
Default New member needing some info.....

Just wanted to make a post and say hello to everyone here. I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on fishing the white river in Cotter, AR. Is there plenty ofpublic access?? Can you wade the river? Also does anyone know of any good trout streams in the vicinity of St. Louis? Thanks guys.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New member needing some info.....

Hi Pickle,

Welcome to the forum.

Fishing the White River has some danger for waders. You need to keep in touch with Bull Shoals Dam (870-431-5311) about their generating schedule. The river can change drastically in a short time and you need to keep you eye on the river edge. I like to pick a rock, post, limb or any object that I can see when entering the water. I pick something that is close the the waters edge. If the marker gets covered with water get out now. I would not wade the White or North Forth with out an inflatable life vest.

There are several access points reachable from Cotter. So yes there is access for wading. If you are serious about fishing the White River I suggest you get this book: Home Waters Guide to Fishing by Mid-South Fly Fishers. This book list access points, boat ramps and flies to use. It even comes with three separate maps that include the White River, the Norfork Tailwaters and the Little Red River. The maps are in a pouch at the back of the book. Here is a link: Home Waters.

If I was going to fish the White I would go to the North Fork branch and fish here. It is heavily stocked and has some big Brown Trout certain times of the year. The people at the North Fork Dam are not very helpful with their schedule and you have to watch the water level constantly.

Make sure you give us a report if you go.

Frank
Old 09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Pickle, welcome to the board.

There is some excellent trout fishing around St Louis. Here's a good site to check out for more info for Montauk SP and the Meramac etc

Fishing the Missouri Trout Parks-Bennett Spring, Maramec Spring, Montauk, Roaring River

There are a lot of folks that fish the White on the board so you should ask away. I've sent you a PM

Good luck!

peregrines
Old 09-13-2008, 10:37 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on fishing the white river in Cotter, AR. Is there plenty ofpublic access?? Can you wade the river?
Yes, plenty of public access both for foot and boat. Wading in the White depends on how many generator units they are running at Bull Shoals. When they are running 0 or 1 unit wading is quite possilbe, when they turn on 3+ units things get dicey.. Actual "dicey" level depends on where you plan to fish, etc., check locals for exact information.

Bull Shoals flow data: http://www.swl-wc.usace.army.mil/WCDS/plots/WEB/bul.htm

Bull Shoals generation schedule: Southwestern Power Administration
Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
Just wanted to make a post and say hello to everyone here. I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on fishing the white river in Cotter, AR. Is there plenty ofpublic access?? Can you wade the river? Also does anyone know of any good trout streams in the vicinity of St. Louis? Thanks guys.

Describe "Vicinity". Merimec River and Trout park is about 1hour 45 minutes away. Everything MO has to offer. Trout park or Stream fishing. Summer is tough on the stream fishing because of Canoe Hatch that starts around 10 and lasts till 3.

Follow this link. This will give you several trout parks and links to look at in mo. Bennet is good year round and you don't have to fight bait fishers. Winter season is great at all the parks (Catch and Relase only) And. DNR stocks lakes in all of the major uban area's for the Urban trout program.

Ozark Weather and Trout Fishing Reports

Good luck
Old 09-16-2008, 10:24 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

WOW... MO members are online at once.. We speak with a common voice and we don't even know each other..
Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 AM

slowdive is on a distinguished road

I live in Saint Louis and will spend most of my time fishing the Meramec. But I also go to the Current river. There is a small spring branch in Bourbon Missouri called Blue Springs. I heard that it is ok, but I have not fished it. It is about a 45 minute drive. If you want to come with me to the Meramec on Sunday, look me up.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:28 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

Good to see a MO thread. I have been looking that way and recognize a few of the rivers I have been looking at. One thing I am having bit of trouble locating is wilderness areas.

We were looking for a backpacking trip in the early spring. Around 5 days throught the boonies............without wanting to horn in ...........any suggestions.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
Good to see a MO thread. I have been looking that way and recognize a few of the rivers I have been looking at. One thing I am having bit of trouble locating is wilderness areas.

We were looking for a backpacking trip in the early spring. Around 5 days throught the boonies............without wanting to horn in ...........any suggestions.
Are you going to Float? Montaulk has quite a few trails and a very long canoe or raft float can happen. I don't know about 5 days but I do know HaHATonka has some really nice trails. To get more remote go down to Roaring River. Campsites are nice. Lots of people but I believe if you are hiking you can vanish in the woods quickly..

The problem here is we are all fishers and don't think about backpacking unless it involves fishing at the end, middle or beginning... :^)
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

That's what makes it difficult, we're fishermen, not hikers, the hiking just puts us on good fishing. We just like it remote. We spent 8 days hiking and fishing the winds and didn't see another fisherman. Did a 12 mile hike on the Upper Russian last year......and didn't see any other fishermen, other then Grizzly Bears..

I think Missouri has a good spring season, just looking for remote water.