The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 08:45 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Shops in D/FW

Can anyone recommend a fly shop(s) in the D/FW area? I live in the middle of the metroplex in Grand Prairie, so I can go either direction. I am looking for a shop were I can get some lessons, local knowledge, buy gear and build a relationship. I have heard of Backwoods in Fort Worth and Tail Waters Fly Fishing Company in Dallas along with Cabellas and Bass Pro. Anyone have any dealings with any of the above or any other recommendations? Thanks!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:45 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Shops in D/FW

I would recommend Backwoods...on W 7th in Fort Worth...knowledgable and friendly. Cabelas - lots of stuff...expertise varies greatly depending on who is working; Basspro - Ive never found them to be particularly knowledgeable on fly fishing. I've never been to Tail Waters in Dallas. If you need advice and have a lot of questions...I would recommend Backwoods...if you know alot about fly fishing and know what you want the I would say Cabelas. Another option would be one of this sites sponsors The Full Creel in East Texas. Steve is very knowledgable and patient and they have a test period for rods and stuff...their pricing is very good as well
Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Is the Full Creel an internet only shop or do they have a brick and mortar shop? Where are they located in East Texas? I went to their website but couldn't find that information.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The full creel is no longer run by this site's founder.

Backwoods in FTW is staffed by a very knowledgeable Brit named Stephen who is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

The same can be said for Dave Etgen at Bass Pro in Grapevine, except I'll add that he's one of the 5 nicest people I've ever known, and I've worked with the guy.

The tackle department at the Orvis store in Dallas is staffed by another wise man named Haskell.

You'd be in good hands with any of these gents. (i apologize if they have moved on since I last knew)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Big Cliff - I didn't know steve was no longer with The Full creel. He's a really nice guy. Who runs it now?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

No idea.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.