The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough
Default Lower Illinois River (Gore, OK)

I just retired from the Navy and am about 15 minutes away from what is allegedly a great stocked trout fishing area in Gore, OK. I figure it's a big deal because the city Chamber of Commerce has a rainbow trout on their stickers, posters, and such.

I've checked the maps and read over the regulations and they seem easy enough to follow. If anybody has fished there, are there any other particulars I need to know about the area?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Lower Illinois River (Gore, OK)

I was just there yesterday and fly fished with my son in law. Had a decent day. If you read up on the regulations you know about red zones and blue zone areas otherwise go to Oklahoma wildlife departments website to see the regulations. There are only 2 year around trout fisheries in Oklahoma with the L.I.R. being one of them. My experience has been fishing slows down in the summer as it get hotter but I still catch something.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Shane I don't know how far Gore is from Pawhuska, ok but the state stocks Lake Pawhuska with trout twice a month starting in late Oct. Season is open now through March. You can usually do pretty well from the shore with spinner rod or use float tube and fish deeper water. I like to use fly rod with bead head nymphs. Its a pretty little lake with almost clear water. Nice way to spend the day. Good luck, Glen
Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, guys. That's some great input.

Lake Pawhuska is about three hours from me. I'd probably have to plan a weekend trip to really make it worth the drive. I saw in the information on the lake that there are "primitive sites" for camping. Sounds like a great weekend getaway. I'm fortunate that my wife wouldn't sleep in a tent or pee in the woods for all the money in the world. I'll take a fishing buddy and make a boys' weekend of it.

I've read over all the regulations and I think the easiest thing to do is fish closer to the highway 64 bridge, below all the goofy zones. The fishing might not be as easy, or as good, but I seriously hate having to figure out if I'm near some kind of goofy marker, or on the wrong side of some imaginary line. I got pretty fed up with that kind of thing in Connecticut. Truth be told, I got fed up with being the only guy following the rules.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I fish mainly from the dam down to Watts where the red zone starts. Probably the better area on that river. I've also fished just above Gore landing a few hundred yards up river. I had better luck in the colder months there.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 PM

I went to three spots on the river today. Met one other fly fisherman and he was very helpful. Gave me some pointers on one particular spot, such as how and when to fish it. He also shared some helpful hints about the dam operation upstream. Looks like I need to check the website for the dam schedule. When they open the gates, water level changes considerably and quite rapidly.

One other thing was immediately obvious. I need to buy flies in a big way. Midges, in particular. My collection is fine for bass or trout in the Northeast, but not so hot for Oklahoma.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 AM

Hydropower Release Schedule When they open 1 "gate" the water is still wadable. Just be careful. I had planned to go today but looked at the schedule. You can catch fish with "2" running, but it is better fly fishing with 0 or 1. I was there saturday with my son in law and we caught 36. We kept our limits and threw the rest back. I normally don't keep fish but my Mom wants some so I told her I would get her some fish.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 AM

I have a feeling those guys don't stick to their schedule very well. When I got there it was alright to fish. By their schedule, it should have remained that way. Needless to say, it didn't. I heard the sirens at least two times, and noticed a serious increase in water level and speed. Would have made for some fun tubing, but it didn't help the fishing a bit.

My normal this time of year is morning deer hunting and afternoon fishing. I may have to make some adjustments.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM

markg52 will become famous soon enough

My uncle is fishing there today, and I'm planning on going over Saturday. I haven't been down there in years but have had some very good trips. My uncle fishes there just about on a weekly basis.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 PM

I've caught fish but the numbers have been down for me on the fly rod.