The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fall Goggle-eye hole

Mike is right, no matter what they're called, they are great fun. They are REALLY aggressive too. I have had 3" long goggle-eyes attack and actually hook themselves on foam hoppers that are over an inch long. Its like they think, "I got a bigger mouth than all these othe bream and I'm gonna use it!"

Mike I'll be one of those durn Texans up pulling trout out of the LMF this weekend. I think I'll just be on spillway creek, starting out at the upper footbridge sat am. Probably will hit other sections later in the day. I've heard they stocked some pigs last time and I'm looking forward to piercing some snouts. (and quickly returning them to the water unharmed, of course)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:24 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default Goggle-eye pic

Caught this fish on the North fork which looks just like our local goggle-eye.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:44 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

the fish that is pictured looks likes what we would refer to as a rock bass or redeye in the north. looks like it's a good sized one at that. many people fail to realize that most species in the sunfish family are very aggresive. i've had them hit many a different crankbaits over the years. many times as bigcliff said the bait is much bigger than them.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:12 PM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

In McCurtain county if you hear goggle eye it's either geen sun fish, rock bass, or warmouth depending on where or who you are talking to. If you hear goggle-eye and glover together then it's a good chance the fish they are talking about are rock bass as Glover is thick with these critters also it has a good supply of kentuky bass.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:12 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

Hey Cliff,

Hope you enjoy your trip up here the LMFR this week end. I understand fishing has improved. I am still wrapped up in my deer hunting for another couple of weeks then I will get back to the rivers. Good Luck
Old 11-13-2005, 08:00 PM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

I went for a few hours in zone 2 saturday and managed about a dozen hook ups. All except two were caught on dries (midge emergers), one of them being a nice 20"er. Cane rods and dry flies gotta love that.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Saturday was one of my most frustating days ever. I'll have to admit, I didn't land one fish. The lesson for the day: you have to do EVERYTHING right. Lost one because an improvised (instead of having to start all over with tying on a 3 fly rig) knot failed, one because the hook wasn't set hard enough, and two because the hook wasn't sharp enough to really grab hold. Two of those would have been my biggest trout ever, had they been landed. Saw very small mayflies (grey, 22) and black caddis (18-20) along with plenty of midges coming off.

Didn't see too many of the bratwurst sized stockers in spillway creek, they may be getting eaten by the many trout in Spillway creek over 3 lbs. Odds would be much better on a weekday when those bigguns weren't seeing a new person casting to them 20+ times every 30 minutes.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Glad I'm not the only one that got skunked but I spent most of my time taking Rob Woodruff's Entomology class. It's amazing the different types of bugs that can be found in one end of the stream to the other. Plus the festival this weekend just added more people of the river than usaul.

Sorry I missed you Big Cliff. I saw Mike Love in Three Rivers Fly Shop but did not realize who you were until someone told me after you left.

Skunked or not I'm still going back. I will not give up. I will learn. I will pay my dues. I will survive the learning curve. Where there's a Will there's a Way.

Later,
Terry Will