The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 10:04 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default Fall Goggle-eye hole

Fishing last weekend and deer hunting I thought I might show you all some pretty fall colors at one of my spots on the little glover..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fall Goggle-eye hole

Doesn't get much prettier than that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:57 PM

Gordon Bryson will become famous soon enoughGordon Bryson will become famous soon enough

Mike, I understand that stream is good in the spring for the white bass (sandbass) and also small mouths. Is there very much public access to the river? Have always wanted to go up and give it a try. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 PM

Gordon,
You may be thinking of this stretch of river which is currently 15 feet below normal-the Mountain Fork River. The following picture was taken this past weekend between the narrows bridge and the Panther Creek boat landing. This location holds sandbass, small mouth and nice Walleye. The picture I first posted was on the East Fork of the Glover(Little Glover) about 6 miles northeast of Bethel. I generally have better luck on the West fork of glover north west of Bethel between the Forks of glover and Silver Creek. There we catch small mouth and good goggle eye. I have never caught any sandbass in that area of glover. I love fishing both the Glover & the Mountain Fork in the winter and spring..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Goggle eye???

It is strange to hear of good smallie and walleye rivers being from Utah. In our rivers we have trout and whitefish. Heard of some people catching smallies on the weber but I have not.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:38 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

you mentioned catching walleyes. am curious as to what type of flies you are using for walleyes?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Guys, guys, goggle-eye is a name used in Texas and surrounding states for a variety of sunfish. It's most proper title is "warmouth" but you will see on the link that we Texans have quite a good time coming up with as many names for a given fish as possible. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/war/

This one also gets called a "goggle-eye", and is easily confused with the Warmouth as well. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild.../greensunfish/
They both have a longer body than a typical bluegill shaped sunfish, but the coloration is a bit different. Hopefully Mike will clarify which one he is catching up there. (Judging by the picture, I'm guessing they are actually Warmouth.)

Old 11-10-2005, 12:32 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

my bad. had noticed that curtis mentioned walleye's. my apologies.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

No need to apologize, I don't think any one of us has time to learn all of the regional names for North American gamefish. Skipjack, perch, and shad all mean very different things through the country. Skipjack is a variety of tuna, but Texas coastal anglers call Ladyfish Skipjacks. (they don't look remotely alike either) Perch is a northern fish closely related to the walleye, but when Southerners go "perch jerkin", they're talking about sunfish. Shad are thought of as bait throughout the south, but there are shad that run up the Delaware and other rivers on the east coast that can hit 4 lbs. For that matter, "Bass Fishing" and the B.A.S.S. tour does not pursue a true bass, but rather a variety of sunfish. (striped bass, white bass, and all their cousins are true bass) No harm done y'all.

There are in fact some walleye's to be caught in the area Mike mentioned, but I think they're all down deep in lakes.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:54 AM

Gentlemen

We have been calling these large mouth perch "goggle eye" as long as I can remember. I am sure there is a proper name for them but I will just call them goggle eye. They give a great fight on the fly rod. When I first started fly fishing they along with small mouth were my fish of choice. It was only after the river got up that I started trout fishing the lower mountain fork. I resisted the trout fishing at first because there were more Texans than fish, but I soon learned to enjoy both

We catch walleye on the Mountain Fork late evening and early. Crank bait is the most successful method, however we have been fishing Dark booger after dark and clouser minnow on the fly rod..mike love, Mccurtain County Oklahoma..