At Fort LeonardWood

Davec921

Reaction score
Hi all.
Been a while since I posted on here. I am now in the army at FLW.
I was wondering if there were any fly fishing clubs in the area.
As well as if there are any on on this board im my area that would like to get together to go after panfish.

Later all an thanks
DAVE

stl_geoff

Reaction score
You can go after panfish, they are pretty much in every body of water in this state. if you are looking for a club, best thing is go to OzarkAnglers.Com Forum and say hi

However, being at FLW, you are right by a BUNCH of trout streams and a parks as well. bennett springs is right down the highway, maybe 20 minutes at the most. there is also mill creek, little piney creek, roubieduex ( or however its spelled ) creek, and im sure there is one or two others im forgetting.

Brewmaster

Reaction score
You can add more trout parks - both Montauk & Meramac Springs are only a few miles away; and more rivers that are very local, like the Gasconade, the Meramac, the Current - all within a very short drive. You have been posted in the middle of the best trout fishing that Missouri has to offer! Contact the OzarkAnglers forum, and then contact the Missouri DNR and get one of teir "Trout maps" - it will list all the parks, the White/Red/Blue water trout streams and identify local access points. You can also get one of the Missouri DNR Outdoors maps - this will list lakes, streams and rivers, what fishing is available, canoeing and kayaking opportunities and even more access points. Have fun!

Davec921

Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys.
Ill look in to the website.
I have never really been in to trout fishing. I am more in to bluegills an crappie.
Would love to find some nice places to fish for them.
Thanks again for the info keep it coming.

Reaction score
The Big Piney River runs right through the Fort and offers some excellent warmwater fishing for smallmouth, largemouth, rock bass (goggle-eye), and a number of panfish species. The middle Gasconade is also very close by, and offers some of the best stream smallmouth fishing in the state, as well as fishing for other warmwater species. The Jacks Fork River is another nearby, it's a National Scenic Riverway and has pretty good warmwater fishing as well as gorgeous scenery. All three of those rivers are fairly popular float (canoe) streams.

As for trout, Stone Mill Spring is a small spring branch regularly stocked with rainbow trout near the Fort. There's also Roubidoux creek which holds browns, as well as several smaller streams nearby which have small populations of streambred rainbow trout. The Current and Meramec rivers are within about an hour and a half of the Fort, and both offer rainbow and brown trout fishing, as well as smallmouth and warmwater species in their lower reaches.

The Niangua River is fairly close, and offers trout, smallmouth, and other species. I also hear its summer bikini hatch is pretty outstanding : )

Check out the OzarkAnglers site, you may also want to get a subscription to the River Hills Traveler- it's a regional outdoors magazine which covers most of the Ozarks. You may be able to find it around Rolla, you can also find it online.

Good luck, and thank you for your service.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I lived in Springfield for five years and strangely enough, that is where I began fly fishing. Hoping to catch trout is a lofty ambition in Southwest MO. Your best bet is to drive a couple of hours to the White River in Arkansas. I spent two years trying to fish all of the so called "trout streams" in Missouri and was thoroughly dissappointed. They are just not native and do not naturally reproduce in any of the stocked streams. This may have been because I knew absolutely nothing about fly fishing or trout fishing at the time, or Missouri could actually be trout fishing hell.

That said, I have a book titled "Fly Fishing for Trout in Missouri by a guy named Chuck Tryon. Catalogues all of the stocked streams and tailwaters in MO and northern Arkansas. I paid $20 for it 5 years ago, and have not use for it now living in Ohio. If you would like to know more about the book and/or interested in buying it I'd sell it shipped and everything to you if send me a $10 check. Send me a message if you are interested, it would help if you really wanted to put yourself through the Trout Chase in Missouri.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Chuck also has the book "200 Smallmouth Adventures in MO" and that has a bunch of local streams and "hidden" places in it.

Davec921

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the reply's.
I look forward to this summer an spring when I can get out again.
So far being on base is nice. Only down side is I brought some of my fishing gear with me. I did not however bring my tying stuff. GGRRRRRRR. :mad:
Yea kicking my self in the rear on that one.

But I did go out today to bass pro an talked with the fly guy there.
He pointed me to a really nice fly shop in Springfield. What can I say. The people in there are awesome. I felt right at home, kinda like walking in to a barber shop were every one knows each other.

They normally will gather on tue an sat to sit talk an tie fly's.
Yep I know were I will be from now on on sat. At least while it is cold out.
A few of the guys there are former army as well. They gave me the number of a guy right out the base that runs a local Healing waters. I plan on calling him this week. I want to see if I can help out any.

Thanks again an keep the good info comeing
later
DAVE

delerben

Reaction score
I am a couple of hours away - St. Louis area. I have gone out to St. James (near FLW) and there is some great fly fishing out there. You are out in the Ozarks - there is great fishing out there.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
What fly shop did you go to in Springfield? I can't remember the name of the place that I went to, but it was on Battlefield Rd in a little strip mall, by a cafeteria and a sports shop. They were the ones that sent me to the White River in Arkansas and also had the "Fly Fishing For Trout in Missouri" book. If it is the same place, I had good experiences with them every time I went in. They sent me to the fish and sold me the right flies to catch them. I owe my first successful trout fishing experience to the guys there.

Again if you want that book let me know; or if you just want info on a river or something send me a message and I can look it up for you myself.

crittergetter

Reaction score
There are several threads of Missouri creeks. Read them all there are tons of good suggestions. "Fort Lost in the Woods" is a great place to head out fishing. You are in the middle of where the trout are with a sort 1 to 2 hour drive. 3 if you want to go to AK.

Besided Ozark Anglers take a look at Mo Trout Hunter or I use this one for getting other idea's. FLW is a nice area to jump off with a 1 or 2 hour drive for stocked fish as well has native trout near the springs...

Ozark Weather and Trout Fishing Reports

Good luck... CritterGetter

PS... Some of the little creeks around the fort requre stealthy fishing techniques... So finding fish can be challenging.

And don't forget catch and release winter fishing. Our DNR has probably stocked Meramec and Niangua now for the winter. Plus the parks are all C&R