The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 PM

bchase58 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Norfork and the White

Norfork river was great this weekend, and has been over the past month. A buddy of mine and I cleaned up on Saturday. We caught well over 40 fish consisting of browns, cuts and bows. Most fish were decent size but the best were a 16 inch cut, 17 inch brown, and a pair of 16 inch rainbows.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Blake

Congratulations, sounds like you and Ryan cleaned up on Saturday!!! Did you rent a boat?

Dave
Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM

bchase58 will become famous soon enough

We did not rent a boat, generation stopped around 9 and we were able to wade down to the catch and release area. However, the best fishing was around the dam.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:12 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I wish I lived closer to that place. My buddy's wife caught a nice brook trout when we were there last september. We also caught a few cutbows plus everything else, rainbows, browns and cutts.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Re: Norfork and the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi twmackey1,

Andy is right on target. Get the Home Waters book and it gives you a bunch of information. I bought one at the Bass Pro Shop in Oklahoma.

Fishing the Norfork can be problematic. The dam operators don't cooperate with their generation schedule. That makes it really hard for anyone wading. At least it was that way three years ago. There is a nice campground at the base of the Dam with some camp sites right above the river. When fishing this water you have to be constantly on guard with rising water. You need to always have a way out of your spot in the back of your mind. Some of the river has steep banks.

Get the book, you won't be sorry.

Frank
Frank is dead on with this. The dam operators don't always follow what they say on their reports. Even the website is inaccurate so fishing can be a real crapshoot. When I have to drive 7 hours this can get very disappointing. Matter of fact, I almost got caught on the White when they turned on the generators and water rose very quickly. I underestimated the depth I had waded to and with the rising water that calf deep walk turned into chest deep raging water that almost caught me! Some folks share this nonchalantly but after this I've learned to watch the water levels and not wade to far out on the river. These river systems demand respect!