The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Pattern

My Mother lives in SW Missouri and has recently started getting into fly fishing. I was wondering what's a simple to tie (I just recently started tying, mostly the simple nymph patterns for my CO tail waters), effective fly for her neck of the woods.

I thought a batch of hand tied flies would be a nice Christmas gift for her this year. I did a bit of reading and the Y2K Bug and Miracle Fly (I think was the name) were two possibilities, but any advice from the locals would be great.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fly Pattern

Goign to school in the area, and not living far from, i really like copper johns in red, blue, chartreuse, copper, black and green. They are by far my favorite nymph pattern to fish, also hares ears are awesome. Last but not least, cracklebacks normal and beadhead. My favorite are ones with tinsel body, Like the stuff for easter baskets, and hackle that is oversized, some thick and some sparse.

Good Luck
Old 12-08-2010, 11:44 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wooly buggers. simple and effective.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the other posters, the wooly bugger and copper john are both pretty simple to tie. If you can afford it, I highly recommend getting a copy of Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying". It starts out with very simple patterns and works you through the different tying techniques to progressively more complex flies.
Amazon.com: charlie cravens basic fly tying: Books

Larry

Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

hares ear, pheasant tails, anything with a bead head, zebra midges, all that tiny stuff works well in MO. Cracklebacks are worth having a few of as well, same with some san juan worms.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-09-2010, 12:29 PM

merkin_muffley is on a distinguished road

Wooly buggers and mohair leeches are both simple and effective patterns for that area. As far as nymphs- pheasant tail, hare's ear, copper johns, zebra midges, scuds and sowbugs would all work. Caddis imitations on top. Honestly, the stuff you're using for CO tailwaters would work just as well in SW Missouri- there's a few wild trout streams as well as some larger tailwaters to be had.

If you can find a copy, you may want to send her Chuck Tryon's Fly Fishing for Trout in Missouri it has a lot of information on basic fly fishing skills and etiquette, as well as where in the state to pursue trout.

Good luck!