The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 AM

ect is on a distinguished road
Default Ar trip

Me and my old man are thinking about heading up to the Ozarks the later part of next week, with those german browns in mind. Never been but have always heard great things about that part of the country. Been planing this trip for awhile now. Very excited to finally to be able to make the trip, espicially with pops. I found a nice little website with detailed maps of all the tailwaters, and it covers the laws of the land. We will be traveling with a heavy duty inflatable boat, so dealing with highwater shouldn't be an issue. I'm tying sow bugs, and wooly buggers right now. Any other patterns I should be aware of?? I'm just terrified that after making the eight hour track, that we will get skunked. I know it wouldn't matter a bit to us, just the adventure and scenery will be worth the gas money. But it would make the memories that much sweeter if there was a ten pound brown in em. So any suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ar trip

Try to do a web search for fly shops in the area you plan to fish. A lot of them will post hatch charts for the water in their area. If not then either give them a call or stop by when you arrive. I usually like to stop at a local fly shop and buy a few flies in exchange for some local information on what is working at the moment.

Good luck sounds like a nice trip.

Larry
Old 03-14-2009, 05:00 PM

Mike Soulie is on a distinguished road

If your thinking of the White River system (the White and the North Fork) in the Mountain Home, AR. area big browns abound. If you want to catch some really nice browns and they can be up to 30lbs...no kidding...remember big browns eat alot of little rainbows, sculpins, shad at certain times of year and muddler minnows. BIG streamers, 3X tippits and a 6 or 7 weight rods are the tools of this trade. I have some 3D flies in Rainbow patterns that should be illegal, make em barbless and release them for the next trip. Wooly buggers against the banks work great also with Zebra midges if you want to nymph are hot.

Good luck and catch and release,

Mike Soulie
Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 PM

ect is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great info guys... As of now we are planning on having three full days to fish. We will be on the White River system for the majority of the trip, but also planing for a full day on the little red. What stretches of the White do ya'll prefer?? C&R 100%. Keep it comin guys...
Old 03-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

The TV show Trout Unlimited On the Rise had an episode last week on the White River and this week they covered the Little Red, but of course they don't give exact locations, but the fishing sure was hot.
Here is a link to the fly shop for the Little Red: Little Red Fly Shop

Here are a few of fly shops on the white:
Blue Ribbon Fly Shop - Flyfishing in Arkansas White River and Mountain Home Gateway

Mountain River Fly Fishing Shop

McLellan's Flyshop :: fly fishing for trophy trout on Arkansas' White River and beyond

Larry
Old 04-04-2009, 12:48 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

use the fly shops for info and check w/them daily. the river and fishing conditions change HOURLY. they'll explain. but this determines hot locations and fishing tactics.

fly box: scuds: gray and ginger (12-16), beadhead zebra midges: olive, black, red, rust (16-20), woolly buggers: olive, black, white (6-10), sculpins: olive (6-10), glo bugs: peach & pink, red fox squirrel nymphs: bead head, no bead, soft hackle (10-16), griffith's gnat (16-20), elk hair caddis: gray, lt cahill, black, olive (16).

i just moved to el paso from there. lived and fished and wrote about the ozarks for the past decade.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist