The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 PM

tbacala is on a distinguished road
Default Lower Mountain Fork vs. Little Missouri

Anyone fish both of these rivers? I'm interested in a comparison of the these two locations. Which do you prefer in terms of fishing quality, easy access, etc.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lower Mountain Fork vs. Little Missouri

tbacala,
I have fish both rivers. Both have there advantages. I prefer the LMF for the quality of water and and availability of different water types.

The Little Missouri is a great tailwater for the beginner fly fisher "person". When they stock that river it's like shooting fish in a barrow. You can't help but catch fish. If you bring your significant other and/or kids they can visit the Diamond mine and dig in the dirt while you enjoy the some great fly fishing. The access will be at the dam, Hinds Bluff, River Ridge, etc. Pay attention to raising water for you sure don't want to get stuck on the other side of the river when they are generating. Flies to take into consideration: Pink Winnie, Fox Tail Nymph, and several of Jeff Guerins patterns. Check out Jeff's web site for details about this river Arkansas Trout - Little Missouri Fly Fishing.

The LMF is located in partly in the Beavers Bend State Park north of Broken Bow, OK. Stocking days can be the same as the Little Missouri but there are more areas to get away from the crowds in my opinion. Spillway creek has a number of great holes but you will run into more spin casters depending on the day of the week. Zone 2 below the Old Park Dam, Lost Creek and the Evening Hole does not allow bait and requires a barbless hook. There are other areas that have some great fishing if you are willing to put the effort to fish them. I would say the LMF has better access to all the waters mentioned. I consider it a more technical river compared to the Little Missouri in my opinion and fishes differently through out the year. Check out the LMF River Foundation for some details as well as visit each of the fly shops that are in and outside the park.

Three Rivers Fly Shop - Broken Bow, Oklahoma
Beavers Bend Fly Shop

If I can be of help please let me know. Hopefully, I will see you on the one of the rivers soon.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 04-19-2009, 07:20 PM

ssfromtexas is on a distinguished road

I've not fished the Arkansas but just fished the LMF earlier this month. Had a great weekend, caught 20 trout per day, and outside of new zealand, the largest I ever caught at 5lb 21 inches. It is a really great place. Of course all fish were released but the number and size of the trout are really terrific.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Bob Lang will become famous soon enoughBob Lang will become famous soon enough

I fished the Little Missouri many, many years ago. It was so crowded we eventually packed up and left. I was not a happy fisherman that day. I've not been back and that is probably my loss. Missouri has some great fishing.

I've fished the LMF several times over my life time. Great views. Very good water. Seldom that crowded, but it can get busy depending on where you go. Spin casters can be numerous, but one can normally move away from them. I've never had the LMF as crowded as the Little Missouri was that day. If you want bass, go above the dam. If you want faster water, go below. You want large pools, they have them. I guess what I am saying is the LMF is a great place to fish. Go by the Three Rivers Fly Shop. Linda and her guys will treat you right.

Kamin's Third Law - Combined total taxation from all levels of Government will always increase until the Government is replaced by war or revolution.