The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 PM

alcorn is on a distinguished road
Default Movin to Arkansas

Ok. Well here's the deal. I recently got a promotion with my company but it requires me to move to Arkansas for 6 months (more specifically february - august). I talked to a buddy of mine at my local shop here in Indianapolis and he told me its gonna be trout down there. There may be some bass but almost no smallies and mainly just trout. So I guess I'm just wonderin what to expect. Are there any fly shops in the state? I will be a little north of Little Rock in a town called Conway. Look, I won't lie. I'm excited about it but if I'm going to go I want to get some fishing in. I've always been a fan of browns and cut throats on the fly rod. I'm just not sure on what to do as far as where to start. I figure I'll take my 5wt and my 7wt but leave the 9. And possibly pick up a 3. But I'm just wondering if its going to nymphs or dries. One of the nice things about bass is other than figurin what color and type of bait fish and crayfish are they're pretty easy. Never fished trout on my own before. Any books or dvds or advice are welcome. Also any patterns or better yet names of fly shops or clubs are even better.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Movin to Arkansas

Google White River.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 PM

cragrat is on a distinguished road

i don't think your buddy at the fly shop has ever been to arkansas. there's trout down here but they are only in certain places. every other creek, stream, river, or lake are loaded with bass, carp, and bream. i've never fished it, but heard lake conway is like a bass fishing mecca. look at www.ozarkangler.com they are twent minutes from conway
Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Alcorn,

There is lots of fishing in Arkansas. I suggest you get a copy of "Home Waters by Mid-South Fly Fishers." It will give you information on Northern Arkansas, Western Tennessee and Southern Missouri. Has some maps and will provide a lot of good information.

In Arkansas there is the White River but that is big water and you need a boat and a guide or a lot of luck locating the fish. My favorite is the Norfork Tailwater. It has fish and big ones certain times of the year. The problem with the Norfork is the water level is up and down due to power generation. There is a degree of danger fishing this river if a wader is not careful. When no power is being generated the water is low and very wadable. When they crank up multiple generators the water can rise quicker than you can imagine. The trick is to always monitor the water lever. I keep my eye on a rock or something that is right at the water level if that rock or what ever I am watching gets covered, I get up the bank. There is a very nice camp ground right at the base of the dam. There is a creek that comes in just above the boat launch restricted to kids only.

Frank
Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Ditto's on the googling the White and take a look at the ozarkangler site. He has some links as well...

Congrats!! You are jumping into some really killer fisheries... Winter fishing should be great without the crowds.

If you feel like jumping across the boarder the White river system starts in Missouri and you can find some trout parks, spring creeks and below the dam at Taney Como.

However, the White in Ak will give you easy public access and easy drives. Frank hit it on the head. Let us know and keep us updated. Several Missourian's plan spring trips from time to time down to the white.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm looking into that book. I'm a huge carp and smallmouth guy so I'll definately look for some waters with those in them but to be honest the prospect of some really good trout areas is pretty intriguing to me. I figure I'll get down there and take a look around and hopefully find someone to fish with. Any suggestions on clubs???
Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough

There is definitely some smallie water in Arkansas, especially up in the NW portion, about an hour or two from where you're going to be living. My Mother lives in the area and, although I haven't really fished them in about seven or eight years, there were two pretty good waters (the Kings River and Osage Creek) that my Uncle and I would walk/wade all day and catch plenty of smallmouth on crawdads. Just watch out for all the copperheads.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I lived in Missouri and made a couple of trips to the White River while I lived down there. Look for the barbless catch and release areas, I think one is called rim shoals, though I could be wrong, it has been a number of years. There were very large populations of trout at Rim Shoals when I was there.

Also I don't know where you are moving from, but there are water moccosins in the White, and copperheads everywhere down there. Also some years are very bad on ticks. Just a heads up, I found out the hard way. I was leaning up against a rock in the middle of the White and there he was 3 feet from me curled up on the other side of the rock!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the warning guys.. I'm a little more hesitant about fishin now but I think I'll still probably go for it. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for any mocassins and copperheads.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

They really shouldn't bother you at all. I wouldn't let them deter you from fishing. I've hooked and caught them, That will really get them a bit angered. If you see one and it bothers you, I like to just swing a rod at them, tends to make them run.. or well slither.