The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 PM

jpmcclain is on a distinguished road
Default Idea for Quick Outing - NW Arkansas

Hi!

I'm a novice FF. I have been out a few times, mostly in guided situations but admit to having the FF bug.

I'm going to find myself in Northwest Arkansas for a weekend on business in early June. It looks like I MAY have at least 1/2 day on Saturday to myself (likely the whole day), so I was thinking of bringing my fly rod.

As I may have to work and will need to have a good degree of flexibility up until the last minute, a guided trip is out. Instead I'm hoping to have an option lined up so if I can get away for a 4-8 hours I can...

Any suggestions for a quick outing in NW Arkansas? A coworker suggested a quick trip up to Roaring River trout park in Missouri. Any other thoughts?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 PM

farcefiasco will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Idea for Quick Outing - NW Arkansas

Where at in NW Arkansas? If you're close enough to consider going to Roaring River, then you're close enough to try out two other places. Either the White River below Beaver Dam, or further down at Spider Creek, or, pretty close to Roaring River is Dogwood Canyon. The Canyon is a pay-to-fish creek and outdoor canyon with a sanctioned Orvis guide, but you can fish unguided up to a certain point in the creek.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Idea for Quick Outing - NW Arkansas

JP - I'm not a trout guy, but I agree with Farce. Skip the Roaring River and fish the White River system. There's below Beaver, but the areas below Bull Shoals and Norfork are more famous (Cotter, AR bills itself as the trout capital of the world). The (soon to be former) world record brown came from there.

Lots of good fly shops in the Mountain Home and Cotter areas that will give advice even if not hiring a guide. Mountain River Fly shop in Cotter - contact my buddy Steve Dally and he'll probably give you the info you need. Chad Johnson (just me him this past weekend at the Southern Council conclave) works out of there as well.

They have a good fishing report on their web page that will tell you what is producing.

Craig