The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Lower Mid-U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lower-mid-u-s/)
-   -   Southwest Missouri Fishing Destinations (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lower-mid-u-s/93719-southwest-missouri-fishing-destinations.html)

skansasc 01-15-2011 09:26 PM

Southwest Missouri Fishing Destinations

I will be going to Missouri this spring and was wondering if anyone knew any areas around Branson that would be good for a beginning fly fisher to catch some trout? Size really doesnt matter, but I would like to have a decent chance of catching a trout. Being from Kansas, I rarely get the opportunity to catch trout, so I am really looking forward to this opportunity!
Thanks!

ddombos2 01-16-2011 02:57 PM

Re: Southwest Missouri Fishing Destinations

I just visited Branson for the first time over the Christmas Holiday. I had an awesome time on the White River. I stayed in Branson and traveled down to Cotter, AR to fish, but that is by no means the only way to do it. There is a hatchery right below the Taneycomo Dam, and there is wade access to the White River (a.k.a. Lake Taneycomo). There is also the Norfork tailwater located nearby in Arkansas. I posted my report in the Cold Water fishing forum on this board.

I'll pm you with more info.

troutbound 01-25-2011 09:18 PM

I to live in Kansas, and go to Mo for trout, if you google Missouri trout fishing there are several places within Branson driveing distance that hold trout. Good Luck.

James Rich 01-31-2011 08:49 PM

Taneycomo in Branson has some huge browns. Just don't be in the wrong section of water when they start generating at the dam. Also, Crane Creek, 25 miles SW of Springfield has wild genetically pure Mccloud River rainbows. This is a small stream and very challenging. I live towards Joplin, and fish Roaring River and its trout park, as well as, Capps Creek (my fav). Good luck, and if u fish Crane, be gentle with the bows u catch, and don't litter!

stl_geoff 02-04-2011 12:18 PM

There is all kinds of stuff if you want to drive alittle bit. taney is right there in down, unless you want to fish by the discharge side of the damn, you will be bank fishing or need a boat. Its more a river then a lake.

About and hour away in any direction is several places, Roaring River State park, about an hour west, gorgious place, lots of stream to fish, you will catch rainbows. Then if you want to go more native/stream/wild fish there is Capps Creek and Crane Creek about an hour North. Then you can go about an hour or two southeast-ish and hit the upper white river after it empties from Bull Shoals lake, its technically in Arkansas but it has rainbow, browns ( some big ole ones too ) brooks and cutthroat in it.