The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Lower Mid-U.S.

Lower Mid-U.S. Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 12:00 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Anybody fished Mill Creek or Roubidoux Creek lately

Started to go to Meramac and discovered it was kids day.. and the water was really high outside the park. I love what Mo Fish and Game are doing with Kids day but man they took over 3/4 of inside the park fishing and with the river way up 1200 CFS fishing was no good outside the park.

So.. We went to the edge of Mill Creek and spent about 2 hours hiking down stream with no fish except 4" bass fingerlings.

Then we headed over to Roubidoux Creek... Looked great but saw no fish...

So does anybody fish these area's anymore and if so where do you put in for a catch and release day. My assumption is the Blue and Red ribbon area's are being poached and nice trout are nowhere to be found..

Next I figure I could try the Piney systems but am afraid of the same. At lease with Meramac River by the park and Niangua below bennette I can find and catch fish most of the day.

Any help would really be appreciated... thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 10:38 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anybody fished Mill Creek or Roubidoux Creek lately

if by "lately" u would include last fall, then the answer is yes. but i think i can help...

a blue ribbon section means the habitat is good for natural reproduction, so little to no trout stocking goes on there. thus, trout populations r usually lower and the trout r mostly wild...which means they r wary and more spread out than trout park trout like u find at meramec and bennett (incl right below the parks). red ribbon sections r generally only stocked once/year or so. these fish also take on more "wild trout" attributes fairly quickly.

u have to hunt for them and do it pretty stealthily. and when u catch 1 or 2 n a hole or riffle, u prob won't catch any more there. it's time to move on and hunt some more. this is REAL trout fishing. clear, shallow water means they will see and hear u coming pretty easily. that's why u have to b stealthy. it's far superior to move from downstream to upstream if possible...especially if u r wading.

roubidoux is a mixed bag of trout, bass, and sunfish. fish it with lightly weighted or unweighted streamers. fish the potholes between grassy areas, along deeper spots near banks, n shaded areas, and near structure. try the outlet from the city water treatment plant. that's always a sure thing. lol the fishing is generally better the closer u get to the confluence w/the river.

mill creek is really just recovering and doesn't fish well for trout except during the late fall, winter, and early spring. it is truly all wild trout, and it is challenging. water levels there r very much key to fishing success. too much or too little and ur screwed.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 06-04-2009, 02:23 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anybody fished Mill Creek or Roubidoux Creek lately

Mill Creek is just a tough creek to fish....period. There isn't a lot of back casting room, there are not many trout, and If they see you or anything that they would consider un-natural, they ARE GONE....you're best chance would be, be really sneaky, and get up to a fairly deep looking pool, with a long light leader and try to make a delicate cast into the pool.....Thats my mill creek strategy.

The Roudiboux creek is completely different.. Im fairly certain that the roudiboux is 100% percent stocked. So if you fished the white ribbon section, and there was no stocking recently, the fishing would have been tough.
The Red ribbon section is mainly managed for bigger browns, so fishing can be extremely hit and miss.

I would try the little piney, you kind of need to get a feel for missouri's wild trout streams, so just keep trying.