The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 03:16 PM

bobtx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to bobtx
Newbie from Spring, TX

Hi, everyone! I'm here to learn what I can about the sport. A friend knew I had a theoretical interest in it & gave me an Orvis rod/reel combo as a retirement gift. [Pretty nice of him....] I haven't done anything with it to this point but am signed up for an Orvis school in Broken Bow, OK on 08/08.

Looking to get started in it. Tips & pointers will be gratefully accepted.

Bob
Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Newbie from Spring, TX

Welcome Bob.

I can't wait to hear about your new found hobby. There are several good threads on tips for beginners. I believe most of them can be found in the General Discussion section. Here are a couple to get you started.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ler-11456.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ers-10973.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...are-10986.html

Have fun!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bob,

Welcome to the forum. You might want to look at some of the
FAQ information. The best way to get started is to ask questions. Give as much information as you can about what rod, reel and line you have and where you will be fishing. Only ask one or two questions at a time in a post.

Frank
Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bob, welcome to the forum. The Orvis school will get you off to a great start and you'll be flinging flies in no time.

As Frank said, browse some of the stuff in past threads and the FAQ section, and feel free to ask questions as they come up.

Lot's of lingo to get your head around, and casting can be tricky to get the hang of especially if you're starting out on your own, but the Orvis school will take care of that and they'll coach you through the mechanics.

And you have a lot of fish to chase besides trout too- bass and panfish, and even saltwater if you get into that.

mark