The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 AM

C.A is on a distinguished road
Default Running line

Hello to all!
And I bow to the sages and seasoned fisherman of this forum.
I have been away from fishing far to long and am amazed to see all of the new material and gear in use today. I fish trout and am a atlantic salmon addict. (Funny how that is a double-edged sword) I recently purchased a shooting head line, while not really knowing what it exactly was. Today I saw 'running line for shooting heads' advertised. Would this become the "body" so to speak of the fly line? (Fly, tippet, leader, shooting head, running line, backing ???) How does it work?
TIA
Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Running line

Hi C.A,

Welcome to the forum.

You have it right but I would say: Backing, Running line, Head, Leader, Tippet and fly. You may not have any backing. The Running line would be the backing. The Head is usually 30' and that is what you cast. You need to have the line you want to shoot off of the reel. The head will be outside of the rod tip from 1' to 3' according to what it takes to load the rod.

The running line could be small diameter level fly line or regular running/backing line. If your head is a floating line you probably need to over line one line weight. It takes a while to get things working but in the end it is a good way to get distance with a pickup, back cast with a haul, a fore cast, haul and shoot.

Frank
Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey CA, welcome to the forum!

Shooting heads are short- 30 feet or so -- compared to a full length fly line at 90 feet or more.

Typically you’d match up a rod with a shooting head the equivalent grain weight of a normal fly line 2 line weights heavier, although "tuning" heads to rods and individual casting strokes is something of an art in itself.

You false cast with just the shooting head out side the tip--- and it shoots the lighter running line out when you release the head for a cast.

There are a couple of different types of running line, and they all have their fans:
Thin coated stuff similar to a 2 weight level taper fly line
Specialty mono like Amnesia
Braided stuff made by Airflo and others
Coated Mono

If you’re just starting out with them, a fly line type would be the easiest to manage,. (Slack running line tends to blow around a lot and can be difficult to control, especially without a “shooting basket”. The mono, both specialty stuff like Amnesia and coated versions can be difficult to control, cut your wet hands, Next best (imho) would be a braided type (a lot lighter so more distance than fly line types). You want something like 60 feet of running line (or 90 if you’re an optimist) attached to your shooting head, and if there’s room left on your reel, fill it with whatever you’d normally use as backing.

Here's a good link if you want to read up a bit and/or make your own:
Shooting heads DIY - 1st section - preparing the lines - Global FlyFisher

mark
Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 PM

Thank you Frank. Thank you peregines. I appreciate the prompt reply and the info, of course. The forum thread I was directed to mentioned a stripping basket. Is this a common fix? And would that be a solution to keep the line from tangling or just drifting, which would cause what- excess drag? tangling? Any insight into that reference? And chasing threads it seems like there are quite a few types of line. Are these all a " problem"?
Another thought along similar lines... I have a reel purchased and loaded (set up) at a fly fishing shop in B.C. It has a leader from the line that is a tubing. The fly line is inserted, and run up inside possibly glued and tyed of with a nail knot, I presume. With all the hoopla about braided or furled leader, how does this stuff compare? Any knowlege of this?
Thanks.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 PM

Sorry, I tried to edit after the post submitted. No luck. Here is what I corrected. Peregrines, you mention 'shooting basket' . Facetious or a real item? What would this be in reponse to? Sinking running line, drifting floating line? Airborne loops of line? Anyway I haven't experienced any of yet and may not recieve my line in time for my upcoming trip to worry about or appreciate. Sorry for not looking closer before the post.
Thanks
C.A
Old 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

C.A.,

Check out Rip Tide's thread, 'A day at the beach' find it in the Salt Water fly fishing forum, he is wearing a stripping / shooting basket in the photos.

Hope that helps ya,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM

Thanks Ard. It IS real! Surprise. Surprise. Well I guess it serves a great function for the guy in ther photo- i.e. keeping the line out of the sand , at the very least. That was helpful and a picture is worth a thou...