The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...

Hi Tilden,

Welcome to the forum. Just fire away with any question you might have. We know it is confusing for a new fly fisher. You are smart to take the lessons from your local shop. A local shop can be a huge source of information if you cultivate that relationship. Try to make it a point to buy something every time you visit. Even if it is just a fly or two.

Here is maybe the best piece of information I could give you at this stage of your fishing career. Once you have your outfit take your lessons with your own outfit. We will help you get a good outfit. Practice some and then hire a guide for a day of lessons and fishing. A good teaching guide can drastic shorten your learning curve. Watch and question everything he does. Question what flies he suggests and why he suggested them.

A guide can teach you how to mend line, get a drag free float and how to read the water. These three basic techniques will have you catching fish in no time. It took me years to learn these basics on my own as a teenager.

So just have fun and you will find fly fishing is a very rewarding endeavor. If you have a friend to learn with that would make it even better. You will fish more often with a friend. The memories of your trips will be refreshed every time you sit together around a campfire or a tying bench.

One suggestion for your post. Don't use bold to write your post. Using Bold is the same as shouting instead of speaking your thoughts.

Frank
Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilden View Post
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the welcome. I will be going after trout in the SE part of MN, that, or, on the Kinnickinnic River in WS. That is my plan now, but it will change as I get better. I have been in your neck of the woods back in the 90's fishing walleye. You are in some mighty fine country.

Look forward to learning much from you and the fellow members.

Best regards,

T.
Well if you make it back up this way, drop me a line first. The Walleye are still here, and they do hit flies.
Dan
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Welcome welcome. I am a newbie also.

A walleye on the fly is one thing I really want to do again..But that is a WALLEYE on a fly.. Wow!!

When is the best time to fish your neck of the woods...
Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

T. Welcome to the forum!

Starting with the shop classes is a smart way to begin. Can I also suggest checking into whether there is one or more local fly fishing clubs. After 25 of fly fishing I finally joined a local club last November and I'm loving it and taking advantage of classes and seminars, they have. I wish I'd have joined the club 25+ years ago as I believe I'd be much further along. Most clubs offer casting and fishing lessons for beginner, intermediate, and advanced fly fishers for various fish species. I'm currently taking a fly tying class and soon will be taking a spey casting class. The great thing is these classes are given by some of the regions best Cast casting, tying, etc. instructors and guides for far less then they normally charge, because the club gets a group rate. This is also true of club fishing events. I'll be going on my first drift boat fishing trip this year with the club and it will cost less then half the normal rate. The same is true for fishing resorts which give club members special rates, places that I could not have afforded on some prime waters. The most important part though in my opinion is all the knowledge and instruction freely shared from members and chance of finding fishing partners and mentors.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Welcome welcome. I am a newbie also.

A walleye on the fly is one thing I really want to do again..But that is a WALLEYE on a fly.. Wow!!

When is the best time to fish your neck of the woods...
That was in July, but I get them all summer and fall like that. In fact the first year I seriously fly fished for them I kept track of the number and size of the fish I caught. I had just shy of a 25" average. It made me change my mind about what large Walleye do. They had a Walleye tounament in the River while I was fishing. Out of 80 or so teams there were no big Walleye caught, and they complained "All we got was tons of these" (hands doing tiny fish gesture) While they were doing that, and with jigs and minnows, and crank baits, I was getting nothing but big fish. My smallest fish was in the 24" range. In fact, Since I started fly fishing for Walleye, I have caught a grand total of 3 small enough to keep. During the spring and fall we have tons of fish come up the river from the lake so we have so it's easier to catch them. But as far as the best time, it's when ever you can come. If you want to get a real good shot at other species in the huge catagory, Spring is best. In a three week period I can get a dozen 40" Pike, 18" + Smallies and 28"+ Walleye. That's a dozen of each. Not many places you can do that. If you want to try it, drop me a line.
Dan
P.S. Have you ever seen a blacker Walleye in your life?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Mr TLooking forward to seeing your posts and pics