The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM

gofisch is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from the Black Hills, SD

I live in the Black Hills region of South Dakota, just North of Spearfish. I am a full time guide for Dakota Angler & Outfitter. There is great fishing in the hills and we're not far from some of the best fishing in Wyoming and Montana. I've been checking out this forum for a while and thought it was about time I joined.

Anyone else from SD?

Best regards,
GoFisch
Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hello from the Black Hills, SD

Hi,

Nope, but I used to stop in Spearfish alot, loved Spearfish Canyon. Welcome to the forum.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Go! Vacationed out there family truckster style back in the sixties, beautiful country! Sylvan Lake? milt.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:33 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Hello Gofisch: Welcome to the asylum, er forum! I lived in eastern South Dakota-Redfield from 1949-1963 and always loved it in the "Hills". Was over last summer for the first time in 40 years as I've lived in england almost forty years now the last nine in the northwset near Manchester. Passed through Spearfish on the way to Washington where my mother and brother now live. SD, Montana, Idaho and Washington rivers looked very tempting as we drove past on I-90. but the waters were so damned high they looked totally unfishable then(early and late June). There was even snow still on the passes. I had a great niece that got married at Sylvan Lake in July and fished Lake Roubaix once or twice with my boy scout troop bait fishing. Look forward to hearing reports about the area from a guide. Tight Lines
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM

gofisch is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Milt, I haven't fished Sylvan Lake all that much. It's almost a 2 hour drive from where I live in the northern hills. I have guided groups down there on occasion and have had great luck getting them into fish. Custer SP has other really great lakes and a couple of streams, one where you can catch good sized tiger trout.

flytier07, we do get a lot of high water in June. Spearfish Creek is blown out for most of May and the early part of June, but when the water drops hang on! It's some of the best fishing of the year. Fortunately, we have a nice tailwater and some excellent spring creeks to fall back on when spring run-off sets those mountain streams roaring.

I'm glad to see an interest in Black Hills fly fishing. I've just started a blog this year where you can read about some of my recent outings.www.highcountryangler.blogspot.com Comments are welcome!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

aboard.great to have another guide here
Old 02-13-2011, 02:48 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Add my welcome to those above, but don't get too used to continued fishing in Montana. Apparently there's a bill that's already passed their House and is on its way to the State Senate.

In a nut shell, in Montana, if you can legally reach the water and stay below the 'normal high water mark' you're free to do your thing. This new bill tosses all that over board.

The bill (again for simplicity sake) says that if 'a body of water has EVER been used for irrigation purposes it will now (moving forward) be classified as a "ditch." Law makes no differentiation between rivers, creeks, streams, sloughs, etc. End game will be is the adjoining land owner will 'own' the river bottom ... stand on it, anchor on it, etc., ... your trespassing.

I'd really like to know how much money changed hands to get this bill even introduced, let alone passed through the Montana House of Rep's.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Thanks for bringing to the attention what is already and has been in place here in england for centuries-there is very little "public" water-either an individual, business or angling club/syndicate owns 90 per cent of the waters and if you want to fish you have to PAY-pure and simple-and some stretches are VERY expensive! I was hoping it wouldn't go that way over there, but it looks like it's heading that way! Hopefully someone will see sense but I doubt it!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

FT07, know exactly what your talking about. Post on 4 UK based boards (same log in name, too 'old' to fool around with a bunch of names) and seeing what folks in your part of the world pay to fish makes me cringe.

YIKES!

First good place to fish on the Rogue River is 4 miles from my front door. $4.00/day park pass if you don't have an annual ($30.00/yr if you do) and you're all in where ever over 60'ish miles of the upper river.

IF this bit of legislation passes we may well be facing a 'new world.' If one State goes this way, it's just a matter of time before 'so will all?'

Not a good thing.

fae