The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about
Default New flyer

Hello from Texas!

My buddy has finally talked me into trying fly fishing. We go out in the local lakes, and I enjoyed watching him catch sand bass on a fly rod. So this weekend I ordered from Cabela's the Traditional II 6wt rod and a Redington SVII reel, both on sale. Also picked up some Rio line in the bargain cave, along with a few flies, leader and tippet. Didn't want to spend too much money until I decided this was something I would do regularly.

I look forward to learning from all of you. We're going to Durango/Silverton area in August, and I hope to get a guide and some lessons.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New flyer

Hi Notenuftoys,
Welcome to this board and the addiction that we call fly fishing.

MP
Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM

Ben Waller is on a distinguished road

Good reel. My wife, Libby, has been using an SVII for a couple of months now and has had no problems with it whatsoever. She's got it on her '04 Scott A2, loaded with Rio Trout II line. The Redington is actually of very respectable quality and has stood up to light smallmouth well; smooth and easy-to-use drag, doesn't wobble, bend, squeal or grind. Wrong setup for bass of course but a lot of fun for sure. Anyway, I just checked out Cabela's and they've got the SVII on sale for $40 (Libby paid twice that), which is pretty hard to beat! I'm tempted to get me one but I can't come up with a passable excuse.

Good enough rod, too. I think your gear selection makes a lot of sense.

So yeah, anyway, like MP said welcome to the world of insect imitators and flyline arteests! Eventually you will even catch a fish!

How cool is that?

Ben
Old 07-17-2009, 08:24 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'll pick up the rod and reel this afternoon.

Ben, so this is about catching fish? I thought it was just about standing in the middle of a stream waving a stick!

I'm concerned the rod might be a little slow, but if so, I'll return it and pick up something else. The Cabela's Stowaway is on sale for $90, or there's always TFO.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking for more toys you picked the right sport! Welcome aboard, you should have a blast in texas fishing for bass and panfish, and it's great you have a buddy to help get you started.

Your trip up to Durango should be a ton of fun too, and hiring a guide is a great way to get off to a good start.

welcome to the forum!

mark