The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/)
-   -   Irish lad saying hello!! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/member-introductions/10592-irish-lad-saying-hello.html)

Darby O' Gill 07-16-2009 05:13 PM

Irish lad saying hello!!

Just saying hello to one and all from here in the Emerald Isle.Have visited your site for many months and have finally decided to sign up now.Hope I am welcome?.:)

MoscaPescador 07-17-2009 01:11 AM

Re: Irish lad saying hello!!

Welcome to the board, Darby. I'm looking forward toward reading your posts from your side of the world.

MP

ksbrowntrout2 07-17-2009 09:59 AM

How are the sea trout population over there right now, haven't been able to get back to Ireland or the UK in the last few years, hoping to go next year.
Let me know....

Darby O' Gill 07-17-2009 02:26 PM

Sea trout Fishing is very patchy at present.The month of July is the best time for sea trout fishing but catches have been very low as of yet.The stocks of Sea Trout arent there like they were years ago.

peregrines 07-17-2009 03:47 PM

Hey Darby, welcome to the forum. It's always great to have new folks from far off distant lands- and we look forward to your posts. It's always great to hear about the fishing folks do, and a lot of great folks from all over the world have shared some great tips, techniques, and fly patterns in the forums here that translate well into fishing local waters-- wherever they may be.

And it would be great to hear about the fishing you do over there. There seems to be a growing interest in fly fishing salt water on your side of the pond for both sea trout and your sea bass, which i take it is similar to our striped bass over here. Looking forward to learning more about your fishing over there.

mark

devon flyfisher 07-17-2009 05:55 PM

Hi Darby,
And welcome to the forum from an English member!
My local river Teign is stuffed with sea trout this year, best year for many years.
I will be trying the 'salt' later this season and post up my experiences.
Cheers
Richard

Darby O' Gill 07-17-2009 06:47 PM

Its all River and Lake fishing I do for Brown Trout,and if luck is with me I will meet a Salmon or Sea Trout.I mostly use traditional wets and spiders,and during the summer months in the evenings I will fish drys,for wet fly fishing I use a 10'6" rod and for drys I use a 9' rod.Its always 7wt lines I use,the season starts feb 15 and ends sept 30.

ksbrowntrout2 07-17-2009 06:55 PM

That brings a tear to my eye to hear about the Irish Sea trout in your area, but its also good to here that not all the rivers and areas have suffering populations of sea trout.

Can't wait to get back and fish for some Sea trout, and some chalkstream browns as well.