The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 08:46 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Southern Transplant

Hello All,

I started fishing in the mountains of Colorado in '75 and cast my first fly in '78 in Rocky Mountain National Park. In '80 the family moved to Greybull Wyoming which is 50 miles east of Cody and Yellowstone and 14 miles west of the Big Horn Mountain Range. With little to no population, it was trout fishing paradise and I'm not exagerating. No stocking going on and the wild trout were so pleantifull that it was never a question of what we were eating at any given meal when camping so we packed light. I fished the Tetons, Yellowstone, Big horn, Boseman, Missoula, Blackfoot, Glacier National Park, Butte etc. The trout gods were with me.

I went to college in California and meanwhile the family moved to Lake County Florida. No trout and for some reason I thought fly fishing was a past experience. I bought a Ranger bass boat and went to town crankin and pitchin on all those Lunkers. In '92 I took a summer away from the printing industry's pay check and caddied at a golf course in chattanooga TN so I could play golf there (private) on mondays. The course I worked at was recognized by the autobaugn society and had a number of small impounds with fish. I pulled out the fly rod again and had a ball. When I returned to florida the next fall, I sold the bass boat and got a small canoe, installed oars at the middle seat and started fly fishing for bass and brim. I found that I was having MUCH more success and action with the fly presentation. I would drift along a shore no more than 100 yards behind someone flippin a worm from a bass boat and not getting any strikes. I would catch something 2 out of 5 casts with the fly rod.

I'm in South Carolina now and still fly fishing. I'm way out of practice at trout and these technical streams around here are challanging. I've been teaching my 12yo son to fly fish and he tears up the bass around the local lakes but took him to the Chattooga river last weekend for his first trout. He got skunked and I only caught one 9 inch brown...two days fishing. I know there was fish there and you could see them feeding. Generally, we were not sneeky enough. We got lots of practice though. We enjoy tying our flies and streamers and fish a couple times a week for something.

Well, thats all about me. ttyl
Old 07-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Southern Transplant

Hi futuramille,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you and your son enjoy the forum.

My son never had any interest in fly fishing. He likes to troll for fish and drink beer. I never liked to troll or drink beer so we don't fish together very often.

Frank
Old 07-22-2009, 02:16 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Its a true blessing to be able to spend time with him. I also have a great fishing buddy to boot. I've lurked this forum a bit and really like the overall attitude and flavor, really nice.

All I have to do now is get a trout on the other end of Nathaniels line and I'm good to go. After last weekend, We've both been practicing point casting from our knees and practiced our roll casting at the bass pond last evening. We'll spank on the bass again tonight (Son has a couple new streamers he made last night and wants to test). We keep horses and have a bass pond on the place. Here is one Nathaniel caught yesterday, We put them back and they keep growing

Also the little fella I got last weekend on the Chattooga. Nathaniel wanted to eat it so bad...he was upset when I told him it was too small for me to keep.

thanks for the welcome and I look forward to continue reading your posts

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STA74749.jpg (40.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg STA74793.jpg (36.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Jonathan-

Great to have you on the board. And congrats on getting your son into it too, lot's of great times ahead for both of you, no doubt.

Make yourself at home here- and congrats to Nate for that bruiser of a fish!

mark
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 PM

Thanks Mark, I guess I got spoiled by trout out west so I'll be looking for presentation and casting improvement tips mostly...though I always love all tying topics. Like I said..this forum is a gold mine. Every question I've had so far was quickly answered using search functions.

Great job guys!!

Jonathan