The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 10:02 PM

w1eed is on a distinguished road
Default Hello

Hi. Just wanted to take a min to introduce myself. I have been an avid spin caster for many many years. This year fly fishing just peaked my interest. I dont know why or how, but it has peaked. I just purchased my first Rod (Temple Fork Outfitters) and a Lamson reel. I am taking a lesson this coming week on casting and am really looking forward to it. From what I have already read I am very very nervous to even attempt to use this set-up before the lesson as to avoid any bad habits. Would like to start on the right track instead of having to break habits and correct myself later down the road. I am looking forward to learning alot more by actual use of the rod and reading more through the forums.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

w1eed: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! Sounds like you have purchases a great outfit and are headed in the right direction by taking a lesson. Just wish I had been that smart when I started fly fishing back in the early eighties.

Larry
Old 08-02-2009, 07:58 PM

w1eed is on a distinguished road

I hope so. I spent alot of time in the store with the guy talking about fishing, what fish I will be fishing for most, and where I will spend the most time fishing. After all that he explained everything to me about setting up the rod and reel and all the different lines. To say the least I was pretty overwhelmed but it was all worth it. Very informative. I was watching some instructional casting videos today on youtube by Tightlines Fly Shop and decided to go out into the field on my property and give it a few throws. It was a little rough at first but when i remembered to keep my wrist locked I was able to get some good loops going. I am going to take the lesson on tues and then work on my form more and then shoot for some more distance in my casts.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the guy at the shop set you up with great gear, and it's great you're getting a lesson to get you off to a good start.

Welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home here and feel free to ask questions, lot's of helpful folks here. And there's a bunch of great info in the FAQ section and in past threads so browse around.

mark

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Sounds like the guy at the shop set you up with great gear, and it's great you're getting a lesson to get you off to a good start.

Welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home here and feel free to ask questions, lot's of helpful folks here. And there's a bunch of great info in the FAQ section and in past threads so browse around.

mark