The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 PM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie

So I finally decided to take up fly fishing and got myself a Berkley Cherrywood 8' 6/7 and a Southbend 1141 Finalist. What line weight do you guys recommend me getting since the reel says it takes up to 7 weight? And would a Scientific Angler Aircel be a good starting fly line? Please help as I would like to practice casting as soon as possible.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

vsyogi: Welcome to the forum, I'm not familiar with that rod but it looks like the manufacturer recommends either a 6 or 7 wt line. Hopefully, someone with experience with the Berkley Cherrywood will jump in here and give you a recommendation on the line. I would probably go with a floating weight forward 7 wt line and yes I think the Scientific Angler Aircel would be a good starter line. There is lots of information on this site covering the proper casting techniques. Also take a look at this thread it has some very good information on casting: Casting Analysis
You might also want to get on YouTube and do a search for fly casting, there are some excellent videos on YouTube showing how to fly cast. Good luck.

Larry
Old 08-03-2009, 10:36 PM

Thank you mcnerney , going to look at that link you just posted. Just went to bass pro earlier today and talked to a Capt. Jerry Appling. He gave me some info about Saturday fly casting lessons and definitely intend on going. If anyone knows anything about the rod and reel I have any info or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

vsyogi-

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you're going to get off to a great start with casting lessons- that's a great move.

I'll second Larry's advice- it's great as usual. Usually when two weights are listed on a rod like your 6/7 it refers to a double taper in the lower weight (6) or a weight forward taper in the heavier weight (7). I think a weight forward 7 would be the way to go- it should be a tad easier to cast .

The Aircel is a good choice. You will probably also need some backing (20 lb dacron) you should have some info with your reel that will give you an idea how much you might need. The backing goes on first, and then the fly line on top of that.

Again welcome to the forum, and ask away if you have questions. There's also a lot of helpful info in the FAQ section and past threads that you might want to browse through too.

Good luck!

mark
Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 PM

One more thing. I'm going to be fishing for peacock bass and wanted to know if the same setup for Largemouths could be used?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't chased peacocks, but a bass set up should work fine for them-- and many of the same flies should work well too I bet. They should be a blast on a fly rod. The 7 weight , weight forward taper line would be a great choice since it will let you throw bigger flies a tad easier than a 6 weight line with your rod.

We actually have a few members on the board from South America that fish for them, as well as some Florida folks too, so you should get a lot of feedback on fishing for them if you wanted to start a thread on them in the General Discussions forum.

Where abouts are you?

mark
Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 AM

I'm in south west miami-dade , no lie maybe 5-10 minutes away from the Everglades. On spinning tackle these fish are amazing I can't image how they are on a fly rod.