The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2006, 10:09 AM

chefcj is on a distinguished road
Default Hello to all from Wisconsin

I am new to fly fishing this year. I have been an angler for many years but have only recently been interested in fly fishing. I am most interested in starting with panfish (crappie, bluegill and perch) but will inevitably try my hand at the great salmon and steelhead rivers around me once I have my technique above horrific.

I have one question which might be answered, do you just let a wet fly sink on the leader and tippet in less than 8-10 feet of water or do you use a sinking tip fly line?

Thanks for the forum and I look foward to sharing as much as I receive.

CJ
Old 05-03-2006, 11:47 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hello to all from Wisconsin

Depends.
If I am casting from shore, let it sink.
If I am in a pontoon, intermediate sink line.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If you're trying to get a fly to the bottom in water that deep, then you would definitely be best off to use a sinking line of some sort. You could use a weighted fly and a 12' leader, but this is a tough rig to cast for a beginner. (or anybody, for that matter)

If you want a way to get a sink-tip line without shelling out for a fly line, spare spool, and backing, this can be a good way to go- http://www.bangornews.com/news/templ...&z=38%20class= available here- http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/1TCO_Fl...O&type=Sinking

For general stillwater use, I would get one that sinks at about 4"/second and with the 7' version instead of the 12' ones.

Fishing a sinking leader also allows you to get a fly that's not very heavily weighted down to where the fish are. This is an advantage because flies without so much weight will move more because, well, they have less weight keeping them from moving.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:09 PM

chefcj is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help. I am primarily looking for depths of 2-5 ft but sometimes more. Primarily boat fishing.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

2-5' can easily be achieved with a weighted fly, long enough leader, and some patience.

By the way, welcome to the group!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.