Montanan with questions about Mexico

kramer

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a thirty two year old angler out of Montana. I came to this forum in search of answers about a trip I'm thinking about taking to Xcalak, Mexico. I searched the Mexico Caribbean forum but didn't find any info.

In fact, I haven't been able to find much about Xcalak.

I'll probably just lurk mostly. But if I have something of value to add, I'll post.

Anybody have any links/info on Xcalak? I'm looking to do this trip as a DIY'er and on the cheap. Thanks in advance! :D

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi kramer,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you decided to join and ask a question. I hope you find NAFFF friendly and post often.

As to Xcalak, Mexico, here are a couple of links with some information.

Captain Victor Castro

Coosta de Cocos

The rates for Captain Victor were reasonable. He may be able to give you leads for places to stay. I don't know this people or have any information about them.

You need to be careful about your safety in Mexico. They have a lot of kidnapings and killings. The worst is close to the US/American border but you never know what might happen leaving an airport or hotel.

Frank

kramer

Reaction score
Thanks Frank, I appreciate it. I'll check those links and see what I can't find out.

As per safety, I've spent a good amount of time working in remote regions of Africa and completely understand the safety concerns. I've actually had the AK's pointed at me, which is no treat. But you're correct to point out the safety issues, because I believe it's a five hour drive from Cancun to Xcalak with checkpoints in between.

At any rate, thanks again for the links.

atlaw

Reaction score
Hi Kramer,
I LOVE to talk about the "safety" issues in Mexico. I've lived and worked here fulltime for 6 years and visited a lot longer than that. been there with the AK thing(not in Mexico tho)
Rule one-don't believe the US media, they are ****.
Rule two-be careful anyway, it just makes sense.
Border areas are bad, no question, on both sides. if driving, do it in the day(more to avoid wildlife and cattle) and stay on toll roads.(they are much better).
People are warm and the food is fantastic, you'll love it.

kramer

Reaction score
Hi Kramer,
I LOVE to talk about the "safety" issues in Mexico. I've lived and worked here fulltime for 6 years and visited a lot longer than that. been there with the AK thing(not in Mexico tho)
Rule one-don't believe the US media, they are ****.
Rule two-be careful anyway, it just makes sense.
Border areas are bad, no question, on both sides. if driving, do it in the day(more to avoid wildlife and cattle) and stay on toll roads.(they are much better).
People are warm and the food is fantastic, you'll love it.
Thanks Law.

Where are you in MX? Ever been to Xcalak or driven that highway from Cancun down south to get there?

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Kramer-

Welcome to the forum- hope you have a great trip.

You might want to check out the thorntree forum on lonely planet. It's a great site for getting intel on off the beaten track/remote places, recommendations for places to stay, things to do and up to the minute travel/safety issues and I've used it quite a bit. It's not a fishing related site- more adventurous budget traveller oriented, but I bet you'd get some useful info. Here's a link to the Mexico forum.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=17

mark

kramer

Reaction score
Kramer-

Welcome to the forum- hope you have a great trip.

You might want to check out the thorntree forum on lonely planet. It's a great site for getting intel on off the beaten track/remote places, recommendations for places to stay, things to do and up to the minute travel/safety issues and I've used it quite a bit. It's not a fishing related site- more adventurous budget traveller oriented, but I bet you'd get some useful info. Here's a link to the Mexico forum.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=17

mark
Thanks Mark!