The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM

kramer is on a distinguished road
Default Montanan with questions about Mexico

Hello. I'm a thirty two year old angler out of Montana. I came to this forum in search of answers about a trip I'm thinking about taking to Xcalak, Mexico. I searched the Mexico Caribbean forum but didn't find any info.

In fact, I haven't been able to find much about Xcalak.

I'll probably just lurk mostly. But if I have something of value to add, I'll post.

Anybody have any links/info on Xcalak? I'm looking to do this trip as a DIY'er and on the cheap. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Montanan with questions about Mexico

Hi kramer,

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you decided to join and ask a question. I hope you find NAFFF friendly and post often.

As to Xcalak, Mexico, here are a couple of links with some information.

Captain Victor Castro

Coosta de Cocos

The rates for Captain Victor were reasonable. He may be able to give you leads for places to stay. I don't know this people or have any information about them.

You need to be careful about your safety in Mexico. They have a lot of kidnapings and killings. The worst is close to the US/American border but you never know what might happen leaving an airport or hotel.

Frank
Old 08-30-2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks Frank, I appreciate it. I'll check those links and see what I can't find out.

As per safety, I've spent a good amount of time working in remote regions of Africa and completely understand the safety concerns. I've actually had the AK's pointed at me, which is no treat. But you're correct to point out the safety issues, because I believe it's a five hour drive from Cancun to Xcalak with checkpoints in between.

At any rate, thanks again for the links.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM

atlaw will become famous soon enoughatlaw will become famous soon enough

Hi Kramer,
I LOVE to talk about the "safety" issues in Mexico. I've lived and worked here fulltime for 6 years and visited a lot longer than that. been there with the AK thing(not in Mexico tho)
Rule one-don't believe the US media, they are ****.
Rule two-be careful anyway, it just makes sense.
Border areas are bad, no question, on both sides. if driving, do it in the day(more to avoid wildlife and cattle) and stay on toll roads.(they are much better).
People are warm and the food is fantastic, you'll love it.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
Hi Kramer,
I LOVE to talk about the "safety" issues in Mexico. I've lived and worked here fulltime for 6 years and visited a lot longer than that. been there with the AK thing(not in Mexico tho)
Rule one-don't believe the US media, they are ****.
Rule two-be careful anyway, it just makes sense.
Border areas are bad, no question, on both sides. if driving, do it in the day(more to avoid wildlife and cattle) and stay on toll roads.(they are much better).
People are warm and the food is fantastic, you'll love it.
Thanks Law.

Where are you in MX? Ever been to Xcalak or driven that highway from Cancun down south to get there?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Kramer-

Welcome to the forum- hope you have a great trip.

You might want to check out the thorntree forum on lonely planet. It's a great site for getting intel on off the beaten track/remote places, recommendations for places to stay, things to do and up to the minute travel/safety issues and I've used it quite a bit. It's not a fishing related site- more adventurous budget traveller oriented, but I bet you'd get some useful info. Here's a link to the Mexico forum.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...spa?forumID=17

mark
Old 09-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Kramer-

Welcome to the forum- hope you have a great trip.

You might want to check out the thorntree forum on lonely planet. It's a great site for getting intel on off the beaten track/remote places, recommendations for places to stay, things to do and up to the minute travel/safety issues and I've used it quite a bit. It's not a fishing related site- more adventurous budget traveller oriented, but I bet you'd get some useful info. Here's a link to the Mexico forum.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...spa?forumID=17

mark
Thanks Mark!