The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Back at the Lodge > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself and get to know other forum members...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: New from france

Hi Nav,

I thought the Barbel was something we have over here and you called it something different. That is not like anything we have over here. What is that hanging down at the front of its mouth. Do that use that to dug or steer up the bottom for food?

Frank
Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
nav: Welcome to the forum, good to have another frenchman here to keep JP and lourdios in line. LOL! Thanks for posting the pictures of catching barbel, that looks to be a fun fish to hook into, very hard fighter. Looking forward to more of your fishing reports.

Larry
I think Larry's expecting us to send him a big parcel full of good french wine bottles for Xmas
Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
I think Larry's expecting us to send him a big parcel full of good french wine bottles for Xmas
JP: Good one, that was funny! If I ever get you over here to go fishing with me you will have to bring a nice bottle of wine that we can share around the campfire!

Larry
Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've had many a great meal in France centered around a barbel for the main course. And Larry, as far as a great bottle of French wine around a campfire, that doesn't compute - but a good bottle of Kentucky Bourbon would sure fill the need
Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 AM

nav is on a distinguished road

Here is a small stream in the french Pyrénées.

4 barbels spotted (not easy, but they're here) :
Click the image to open in full size.

A heavy nymph to reach the bottom quickly, and it starts :

A surrending barbel :

PS : where should I post some other fishing reports ??
Old 09-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

nav: That is a nice looking stream and the photos were great. Thanks for sharing.
I put my fishing reports in the Rocky Mountain forum because that is where I live but they don't have something specific for you so I guess you could put your reports in the Cold Water Fly Fishing Forum, maybe Frank will jump in here with a better idea!

Larry
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Nav welcome to the forum! You'll fit right in here! Great pics.

I think a good place for your trip reports would be the General Forum- it gets the most "eyeballs" and I'm sure other folks would love to see them--- It's always great to see fishing from far away places and I'm sure all our folks would enjoy seeing the pics of your waters, the flies you use ...... and the fish you catch.

Again welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your posts.

mark
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the site... Your barbels look similar to the various species of sucker we have here, and they can be tough to catch and when you do hook one you do get a fight.

Dan
Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi nav,

Under the General Fly Fishing Discussion heading there are two forums you can use. The Coldwater Fishing Forum or the Warmwater Fishing Forum. Use the one that is appropriate for your fishing conditions.

Frank
Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

On condition he knows the temperature of the water he's fishing
Sorry I can't help joking Frank